Computing and Printing
All graduate students should receive Passport York login information on registering.
Don’t have one? Get a Passport York account.
You need a Passport York account to:
- access Your Library Account to check which books they have on loan, to renew books online, to check fines etc.
- access Electronic Resources (databases, e-journals etc.) from off-campus locations
- book group study rooms online
- send jobs for printing within the Libraries
- place holds on library materials
- request materials be borrowed between the Keele and Glendon campus libraries (ICB)
File Access Service
A File Access Service account is needed to login to all computers, except guest computers and quick catalogue access stations, at the Libraries. Most computers at the Libraries require an FAS account, as do all of the computers at the computing commons in the William Small Centre.
- To activate your FAS account, log into Manage My Services using your Passport York account. If you don’t have a Passport York account, find out how to get one on the CNS website.
- Accessing FAS files from home.
Network printing is available on all public workstations at the Libraries.
- Instructions for printing and printer locations
- Payment method: The YU-card is now the exclusive payment method for printing and photocopying. Machines are available at all library locations to add value for printing purposes to your YU-card. Note: if you are printing at the Law Library, you will not be able to use your YU-card. You must still buy a print card, which you can get from the machine by the circulation desk in the Law Library. A minimum payment of $5 is required. $10 and $20 bills are also accepted. You can also add value to your card online at www.yorku.ca/yucard (Visa or Mastercard) – $5.00 minimum.
- Cost of printing: At library locations the cost to print in black and white is 10 cents per page and colour printing is 25 cents per page.
- Printing for graduate students: Effective September 2013, all graduate students (current and new) will receive a one-time only printing allocation, usable for the duration of their studies at York through to August 2017.
Printing allocations are based on the term of study:
One Year Masters – $75
Two Year Masters – $75 (per year for two consecutive years)
PhD – $300
- From January 2014 to January 2015, new graduate students only will be provided with a one-time only allocation as above.
- From April 2015 onwards, no new printing allocations will be provided and all existing printing allocations must be used by August 2017.
This change reflects the ability of students to submit and obtain documents in electronic format anywhere and anytime as well as the upcoming electronic theses and dissertation program. This phase out will allow the university to continue to make important and necessary investments to improve the Libraries’ information technology services that will benefit all students.
- Guest Printing Cards: If you are a non-York member or a visitor to the campus and do not have a YU-card, you may purchase a Guest Card from the new YU-card Account Station locations.
York Remote Printing allows you to print to publicly accessible campus printers from your laptop or desktop computer, either:
- wirelessly on-campus using AirYork, or
- with an internet connection on-campus or in residence