FREE Citation Management Software
- RefWorks site (Login) can help you manage your footnotes & bibliography on the web. Easy to use, interfaces directly with MS Word to create footnotes & bibliographies
- Zotero and Connotea are other options
- Library Footnotes, Bibliographies, RefWorks page
- Open house for York Grad students — Today!
- 50 free Interlibrary Loan articles via RACER! (for rush articles, there is a fee and you should come to Steacie)
- $300 free printing is available at the Libraries
- General library-related Grad student info.
- Scientific publication cycle
- Kinds of documents:
- patents: government granted license to an invention
- standards: agreed upon methodology: ie 802.11
- journals: research results presented in a periodical/magazine
- conference proceedings: research results presented at a meeting
(most conferences in CS are peer-reviewed)
- technical report: description of a solution to a specific problem
- reference: encyclopedias, tables, data collections, properties
- manuals: lab methods, programming languages, operating systems
- monographs: general topics
- technical specifications: how a device or component works, ie
- code library: database of source code listings or linkable
- datasets: organized collections of data that can be used for analysis
- Peer review: researchers validating each others work before publication
- Academic Integrity & Plagiarism web site.
- If you’re not sure how to get started on your project, come to Steacie.
Logging in from Home
- Need to use Acadlabs login to authenticate as a York user
- Information here on logging in
- Remember: need to type in name of eresource using “by title” link after logging in.
Finding Resources at the Library
Finding Books & Journals
- Do a search in The York Catalogue:
- by title: Concurrent programming in Java : design principles and patterns
- by author: Bjarne Stroustrup
- by journal title: journal of the acm
- by subject: Java
- by subject: concurrent programming, parallel programming, parallel
- by keyword: concurrent and programming and java
These online databases can also be found in the eResources Quick Links or Search boxes on the library home page.
Article Citation Databases
- INSPEC — best source for citations in all geophysics and engineering, best for comprehensive searches (combined with Compendex)
- concurrent and aerospace and programming
- concurrent and locking and java
- Web of Science — Very good coverage of all major E&SS, good for citation searches
- concurrent and locking and java
- Scopus — another good general database with citation information
- VERY IMPORTANT: look in full text article databases for conference
- IEEE, ACM or Lecture Notes in Computer Science: look in DBs below
- SPIE: keyword search in catalogue: SPIE and proceeding #
- Other: keyword search with part of title
- Last resort: 50-75% of conference papers usually on author’s home pages
- Remember, you have 50 free article requests!
Full Text Article Databases
- AGU digital library — American Geophysical Union journals
- IEEE Xplore — All IEEE journals & proceedings, more engineering than CS
- SPIE Digital Library – all the SPIE journals, conference and ebooks
- ACM Digital Library — Best resource: All ACM journals & proceedings
Online Computer Books
- Safari — over 200 online computer / technical books on a wide range of subjects.
- Synthesis — amazing collection of CS & Engineering ebooks, more advanced topics
- Books24x7 — EngineeringPro & ITPro
- Scholars Portal ebooks — a great big pile of ebooks
Using Resources on the Internet
To contact me: