Just for fun
- The Joy of Books
- New Spice — Study like a scholar, scholar
- Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the earth yet?
- What does Facebook publish about you and your friends?
FREE Citation Management Software
- RefWorks site (Login) can help you manage your footnotes & bibliography on the web. Easy to use, interfaces directly with MS Word to create footnotes & bibliographies
- FAQ and Instructions for various databases
- For off campus use, get the York group code here.
- Key points:
- Don’t forget to install Write-n-Cite on your PC. It’s in the Tools menu
- Also don’t forget to move items out of the “Last Imported” folder into the folder you create for your course
- Lastly, don’t forget to use “Edit citation” in the Write-n-cite application to get page numbers!
- Scientific publication cycle
- Academic Integrity & Plagiarism web site.
- Encyclopedia Britannica — best general resource
- Oxford Reference Online — lots of online dictionaries in science & other fields
My topic: The Geysers geothermal project in California
Plan B: some information on waste-to-energy projects in Canada
Logging in from Home
- Need to use Passport York or bar code number & PIN from library card to authenticate as York user
- Information here on logging in
- Remember: Use the library web page or this blog post for the link as it will prompt for login
- All this information is also available in the various research guides here.
- Do a search in The York Catalogue:
- by title: Fuel cell power for transportation 2004
- by author: Ceruzzi Paul
- by journal title: Scientific American
- by keyword:
- geothermal power
- geothermal energy geysers
- geothermal and california
- Books 24×7 has lots of full text books on energy
- Google Book Search
- great for searching inside all the books and then checking to see if we have the one you want
- search on:
- geothermal and power plants and geysers and california
- don’t forget, you can borrow books we don’t have via Racer
- Lots of resources on Energy at Steacie
- Encyclopedia of energy (6v) — TJ 163.2 E539 2004 Steacie Ref
- Ullmann’s encyclopedia of industrial chemistry (40v) — TP 9 U57 2003 in the Steacie Reference area
These online databases can also be found in the eResources
Quick Links or Search boxes on the library home page.
All the info below is selected from the
Find Articles by Subject page
NOTE: You can use the resources in this section to find out both about
your topic and the people involved
- all the databases are similar, so try searches like these
- geothermal and “the geysers” and california
- geothermal and efficiency
- geothermal and cost
General Resources Useful for all Topics
- Scholars Portal — lots of full text, very good general source.
- IEEE Xplore — full text engineering database with lots of good content
- ABI/Inform & Business Source Premier — excellent business coverage, mostly full text
- Expanded Academic, Research Library — good general sources
- Newspapers (really important for this assignment):
Using the Internet Wisely
- Using Google as a scholarly research tool:
- strategy: find good portal sites
- strategy: make sure you know exactly who produced the content
- Wikipedia — a free, open source encyclopedia. Surprisingly good for background info but not for more serious reference
- Google Scholar
- issues: currency (don’t update often), comprehensiveness (won’t say what isn’t in their database)