Just for fun
- The Joy of Books
- New Spice — Study like a scholar, scholar
- Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the earth yet?
- What does Facebook publish about you and your friends?
FREE Citation Management Software
- RefWorks site (Login) can help you manage your footnotes & bibliography on the web. Easy to use, interfaces directly with MS Word to create footnotes & bibliographies
- Zotero and Mendeley are other options
- Library Footnotes, Bibliographies, RefWorks page
- Academic Integrity and Plagiarism site and quiz.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy — fantastic resource !
- Encyclopedia Britannica — best general resource
- Oxford Reference Online — lots of online dictionaries in science & other fields
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
My topic: history of tuberculosis in Canada, esp. Quebec/Ste-Agathe
Logging in from Home
- Need to use Acadlabs login to authenticate as a York user
- Information here on logging in
- Remember: need to type in name of eresource using “by title” link after logging in.
Finding Resources at the Library
Finding Books & Journals
- Do a search in The York Catalogue:
- by title: Concurrent programming in Java : design principles and patterns
- by author: Lightman Bernard
- by journal title: journal of the acm
- by subject: tuberculosis
- by keyword: tuberculosis and canada
- Google Book Search
- great for searching inside all the books and then checking to see if we have the one you want
- don’t forget, you can borrow books we don’t have via Racer
- Some ebook choices
These online databases can also be found in the eResources Quick Links or Search boxes on the library home page.
Article Citation Databases
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Historical Abstracts — Indexes major journals in history
- America History & Life
- Sociological Abstracts
- Philosopher’s Index
- Canadian Periodical Index
- ABI Inform and Business Source Premier: full text business search engines
- Remember, it may be handy to add “history” to searches to narrow them down
- ie: ibm and holocaust and history
- ie: film and animation and history and revolutionary
- Humanities Index
- Web of Science — Very good coverage of general social science & humanities fields, very interdisciplinary
- Scopus — another good general database with citation information, mostly science, but vastly improved coverage of the humanities & social sciences. Can also be used to do citation tracking of the literature through time
- Web of Science — good interdisciplinary source, also good for citation tracking through time
Full Text Databases: articles, newspapers, books
(See History subject page!)
- JSTOR — full text of various history & history of science journals
- For JSTOR it is important to use Advanced Search and select “Article” and “History of Science”
- Scholars Portal
- Early English Books Online
- Digital Dissertations and at York
- IEEE Xplore — All IEEE journals & proceedings, good historical material on the history of computing
- The Oxford companion to the history of modern science
- Toronto Star, 1894-2004 (off campus)
- Globe and Mail, 1884-2002 (off campus)
- New York Times deep archives 1851 – 2003.
- London Times Digital archives 1785-1985.
- Factiva: has deep archive for Globe and Mail from late 1970s, may be easier to search
- York Libraries Newspapers page
To contact me: