This page: http://bit.ly/yorknats1560
- The Joy of Books
- New Spice — Study like a scholar, scholar
- Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the earth yet?
FREE Citation Management Software
- The Citation Machine — easiest to use method for creating accurate citations
- RefWorks site (Login) can help you manage your footnotes & bibliography on the web. Easy to use, interfaces directly with MS Word to create footnotes & bibliographies
- Zotero and Mendeley are other options
- Library Footnotes, Bibliographies, RefWorks page
- Academic Integrity and Plagiarism site and quiz.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy — fantastic resource !
- Encyclopedia Britannica — best general resource
- Oxford Reference Online — lots of online dictionaries in science & other fields
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
The CRAP test for website evaluation: Currency, Reliability, Authority, and Purpose/Point of view
My topic: Pâté chinois (something else to use as an example: shakshuka)
Logging in from Home
- Need to use Acadlabs login to authenticate as a York user
- Information here on logging in
- Remember: need to type in name of eresource using “by title” link after logging in.
Finding Resources at the Library
Finding Books & Journals
- Do a search in The York Catalogue:
- Pate chinois
- shepherd’s pie
- quebec cuisine
- quebec cooking
- french canadian cookbook
- The public library, like Toronto Public Library
- Google Book Search
- great for searching inside all the books and then checking to see if we have the one you want
- don’t forget, you can borrow books we don’t have via Racer
- Some ebook choices
- Scholars Portal ebooks — great big pile of ebooks on all subjects
- Worldcat — holdings of a vast number of North American and other libraries, see what exists and where it is.
These online databases can also be found in the eResources Quick Links or Search boxes on the library home page.
Full Text Databases: articles, newspapers, books
- JSTOR — full text of various culture, history & history of science journals
- For JSTOR it is important to use Advanced Search
- Scholars Portal Journals — full text of millions of articles in all fields
- Digital Dissertations and at York
Very important: Your topic may need more specific search tools!
- Lexis Nexis Academic
- Canadian Newsstand
- Toronto Star, 1894-2004
- Globe and Mail, 1884-2002
- New York Times deep archives 1851 – 2003.
- London Times Digital archives 1785-1985.
- Factiva: has deep archive for Globe and Mail from late 1970s, may be easier to search
- York Libraries Newspapers page
Some food science sites
Remember the CRAP test: Currency, Reliability, Authority, and Purpose/Point of view
- Wikipedia has lots of good info
- European Food Safety Authority
- US Food and Drug Administration
- US FDA Ingredients, Additives, GRAS & Packaging Guidance Documents & Regulatory Information
- US FDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference
- Food Navigator
- Food Insight
- SELF Nutrition Data
To contact me: