Graduate Student Reading Room
Graduate Student Reading Room
On the fourth floor of Scott Library (Room 409), there is a Graduate Student Reading Room. This room was created by the Libraries, with generous assistance from the Office of the Vice-President Academic and the Faculty of Graduate Studies, as a quiet study space for graduate students.
There are 122 seats at tables and carrels, as well as lounge seating. The room is fully covered by the AirYork wireless network and all tables have YorkNet connections and electrical outlets. There are six computers and a printer (with payment by standard York University Libraries print/copy cards). The tables are equipped with reading lamps. An electronic noise reduction system has also been installed in the room. The room is fully accessible to graduate students with disabilities.
Graduate students can enter the Graduate Student Reading Room by punching in the current door access code, which will normally be changed weekly. The current code can be obtained by completing the Graduate Student Reading Room Door Access Code form. A link to this form can also be found in the “Graduate Students Library Guide” (under the “Students” drop down menu on the Libraries home page). Graduate students, faculty members, and staff can obtain the door code using this form. Please DO NOT share the door code with anyone else, please ensure that other unauthorized users do not follow you in after you enter the room.
In order to maintain a quiet, safe, comfortable, and clean study environment for graduate students, the Libraries ask that users of the room observe the following points:
- The room will be available for use by graduate students (and occasionally faculty or staff members) only during opening hours of Scott Library.
- Cell phones should be switched off or set to vibrate mode; all conversations should occur outside of the room.
- As elsewhere in Scott Library, hot food is not normally permitted. Please respect the food and drink policies.
- All litter should be placed in the appropriate receptacles.
- Library materials no longer required should be placed on the book truck located near to the entrance to the room. All library materials left in the room at closing will be reshelved.
- Any security, facilities, or equipment concerns may be reported using the telephone intercom on the wall near the entrance to the room.
- Personal items should not be left unattended; the Libraries will not be responsible for lost or stolen personal property. Personal items left in the room at closing may be sent to the Lost & Found.
- As a courtesy to those with allergies, please avoid wearing scented products when using this room.
Please note: In order to maintain the Graduate Student Reading Room as a graduate study space, library staff regularly check the status of those using the room. Users of the room as asked to provide their YU-Card, other York ID indicating graduate student (or faculty or staff) status. Anyone not able to produce appropriate identification will be asked to leave the room. To minimize any disturbance to you, we suggest you set your card on the table in front of you when using the room. Your cooperation will be greatly appreciated by our staff and other graduate students using the room.