Teaching Support at the Library for New Faculty and TAs
In an ideal world, the high academic expectations you have for your students would be met. You’d see evidence of creative thinking and new ideas in their papers — not just simple recapitulations of course readings and lecture materials. But we all know that papers like that are more often the exception than they are the rule. Not only is it boring to read papers that are limited to a review what you’ve already said in class, what’s even worse is the inevitable conclusion that your students have never moved beyond passive learning. Happily, high quality scholarly books and journal articles can help your students to engage course content more actively by serving as a new and solid foundation on which credible and interesting research papers can be constructed. We can help you convince your students of the importance of external research to the academic endeavour by showing them ways to find what they need.
Library Assignment Consultation…
Librarians work with thousands of students each year who are grappling with their assignments and how to do them. Consequently librarians have a unique perspective on what works well for students and what doesn’t. We know it can sometimes be a challenge to design an assignment that facilitates students learning disciplinary content and research process at the same time. For many assignment requirements students need to familiarize themselves with the process of doing research and librarians are available to advise how this goal may be achieved through assignment design. If you are a course instructor who wants to equip your students with the research skills they’re going to need to succeed at York we can help you create assignments with that goal in mind. For more information click here.
Would it help to meet the Libraries’ expert in your disciplinary area to set up a research consultation? Consult the list of subject liaison librarians to identify who you should contact.
Freqently Asked Questions…
- What is Information Literacy?
- Can you help me design a library or research skills assignment for my own course?
- Does the library offer instructional design consultations?
- What’s the easiest way to book a librarian for a tutorial or guest lecture in my course?
- I’m interested but I don’t have time in my syllabus. Can I refer my students to an online tutorial that they can complete on their own time?
- Can you help me if I’m teaching an Internet-based or correspondence course?
- Any special policies I should know about?