Starting this summer, the second floor of the Scott Library will undergo a major facelift as walls are torn down, new areas are opened up and the space is reconfigured. In April the transformation will begin. By September…the new Learning Commons @ Scott Library will make its debut!
What’s the Learning Commons @ Scott Library?
The Learning Commons will be a new state-of-the-art student learning space that will accommodate a variety of different uses: from group work to collaborative learning to individual study. At the heart of the Learning Commons will be key academic supports and services offered by research, writing and learning skills partners.
Where will the Learning Commons be located?
When completed the Learning Commons will be about half the 2nd floor of the Scott Library. The first phase of construction will consist of about 17,000 sq ft. New study areas will open in areas that have never yet been open to the public.
When will the Learning Commons be completed?
The Learning Commons will be built in several phases over the next few years. Phase 1 will be open by September 2010. Phases 2 and 3 will be built as funding is secured.
What will be in the Learning Commons @ Scott Library?
Phase 1 of the Learning Commons will include:
- A new model of academic support will be located at the centre of the new Learning Commons. We are bringing together a variety of services previously scattered across campus: research, writing, learning skills support. A team of librarians, tutors and other professionals will be offering support to help students achieve their academic best.
- This large open room with floor-to-ceiling windows will be an ideal place for students to work together in groups or individually in a variety of informal settings: in wired bankettes, on movable tables, on soft lounge seating, or on the “Hill” – a stepped raised area to plug in and stretch out. Technology will be integrated throughout: wifi, LCD panels, printers, desktop computers, movable whiteboards, etc.
- This room will be popular for those looking for a more contemplative, book-lined environment. The Salon will house Scott’s collection of reference books and will contain quiet pockets of lounge furniture, as well as important modern Canadian art by David Partridge, Claude Tousignant and others.
Group Study Rooms:
- Two state-of-the-art group study rooms will be bookable by small groups of up to 8. These rooms will be ideal for group projects, study sessions, or practice presentations.
Phase 2 (target date: 2012 or 2013 – contingent on funding)
- Will include 2 classrooms, a quiet study room, computer areas, more group study rooms, and soft seating areas.
What kind of services will be available in the Learning Commons?
- Research, writing and learning skills support will all be available to students in the Learning Commons in the form of drop-in consultations, workshops and other programming. The incorporation of these supports recognizes the interconnected nature of these skills. These supports will be provided by the three core Learning Commons partners: the Libraries, the Writing Department, and the Counselling & Development, Learning Skills program. Click here for more information about Learning Commons services.
Are there any special services available to faculty?
- The Learning Commons partners are available as resources to assist faculty in the development and integration of curriculum related to these academic skills. We welcome collaborations! Contact Mark Robertson for more information.
- You will also want to keep the Learning Commons @ Scott in mind as a resource for your students when you think they could benefit from assistance with their research, writing or learning skills.
What will happen during the renovation?
- During the summer renovation, we will be maintaining access to staff, services and collections. For parts of the summer, we may however, temporarily have to relocate service desks, the reference book collection and some computers. Information will be posted on the York University Libraries home page as it becomes available.