Skip to main content
Glendon Campus Alumni Research Giving to York Media Careers International York U Lions Accessibility
Future Students Current Students Faculty and Staff
Faculties Libraries York U Organization Directory Site Index Campus Maps
Web > Web Committee Notes, 07 February 2012

Web Committee Notes, 07 February 2012

Present: William Denton (chair), Catherine Davidson, Andrea Kosavic, Anna St.Onge, Robert Thompson.

Regrets: Timothy Bristow, Mark Robertson.

Notes from previous meeting

Notes from 13 December 2011 were approved.

Business arising

  • A Kosavic on moving the Scholarly Communications Initiative web site into WordPress: they are rethinking the entire site and how it will fit in with other York initiatives, so this is on hold until all that is settled.
  • Site Search link in top navigation bar: it should come back.
  • WordPress workshops
  • Library computing plan: W Denton and R Thompson discussed this. Two key areas are growing the library web presence in Moodle, showing information and resources directly to students, and the mobile web site, especially mobile room booking.

ACTION: W Denton to move the WordPress documentation into WordPress.

ACTION: W Denton to move the LibGuides documentation to be with the other web documentation.

Web site design and architecture

There is a new York web look, announced in late January and documented here:

W Denton is trying to get the WordPress theme from UIT so we can try it out on our development site.

We looked the Accessibility page linked in the top right of the new template. It is not very useful.

ACTION: W Denton to find out about accessibility work that has been done on the new theme.

Report on OCUL summit on “Research Support in the 21st Century: Harnessing Networked Communications to Deliver World-Class User Services”

W Denton and T Bristow attended, and W Denton reported briefly.

bX trial

SFX’s bX Scholarly Recommender is in use at some OCUL libraries. Waterloo’s Pascal Calarco reported on it at Scholars Portal Day in December. We looked at it and discussed whether we should investigate it here. Some people thought it could be potentially quite useful, others were unenthusiastic.

ACTION: W Denton to ask Aaron Lupton to enable this in test so we can have a closer look.

Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 3:10 pm.

Discuss this Post:

You must be logged in to post a comment.