1964


Introduction 1955-1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 and beyond – Bibliography


Date: 1964 January

Event: D. McCormack Smyth becomes Dean of the Joseph E. Atkinson College. Timothy Reid is appointed Assistant to the President.

Category: Administrative History – Institution; Administrative History – Faculty.

Source: York University Gazette, 30 January 1964, p.21.


Date: 1964 January 8.

Event: The ice rink at Glendon is officially opened. A hockey game is played in the afternoon against the North York Teachers team.

Category: Cultural Life.

Source: York University Gazette, 30 January 1964, p.21; York University press release, 8 January 1964. Presidents? papers. York University Archives.


Date: 1964 January 14.

Event: The 1964, York University Invitation Frank Gerstein Lecture Series, ?Religion and the University? are held on Thursday evenings from January 14 through February 18. The lecturers are Dr William G. Pollard, Rabbi Maurice N. Eisendrath, Professor Jaroslav Jan Pelikan and Canon Charles Moeller.

Category: Cultural Life – University.

Source: York University Gazette, 29 February 1964, p.8; York University press release, 10 January 1964. Presidents? papers. York University Archives.



Date: 1964 January 16.

Event: The Senate passes a statute to establish the degree of Bachelor of Arts (Administration) in the Joseph E. Atkinson College. The Senate also establishes the Standing Committee on Academic Policy and Planning, and a Planning Committee for Glendon College.

Source: York University Gazette, 29 February 1964, pp. 4-5.


Date: 1964 January 21.

Event: The Provincial Advisory Committee on University Affairs undertakes to make available within the 1963 – 1964 academic year, $336 000 to enable the University to purchase two parcels of land on the southwest corner of the previously acquired property.

Category: Buildings and Property.

Source: York University Gazette, 29 February 1964, p.6.


Date: 1964 January 21.

Event: The Board of Governors Committee on Names sets out the basic principles for naming buildings. Buildings devoted to the work of a specific faculty or discipline will be named according to the names proposed by members of that faculty. Other buildings will be named after large donors, according to guidelines set down by the Board. Buildings, roads and other areas not covered by these guidelines will be named after prominent Canadian figures.

Category: Buildings and Property.

Source: York University Gazette, 29 February 1964, p.8.


Date: 1964 January 22.

Event: An exhibition of Eskimo Sculpture from the collections of William Leskov and Joseph Taternic is mounted in the Leslie Frost library from January 22 ? February 28. The exhibit is part of the Glendon Forum on Canadian native peoples.

Category: Cultural Life – University.

Source: Invitation to attend the exhibition opening, 3 February 1964. Presidents papers. York University Archives.


Date: 1964 February 27.

Event: The “Eight Artists Show” is an exhibition held the Gallery, York Hall. The eight artists are Robert Hedrik, Gerald Gladstone, Denis Burton, John Meredith, Yves Gaucher, Jack Reppen, Guido Molinari and Kazuo Nakamura. The show runs from February 27 through March 20.

Category: Cultural Life – University.

Source: York University press release, 10 January 1964. Presidents? papers. York University Archives.


Date: 1964 February 28.

Event: Harold I. Schiff is named Professor of Chemistry and Chairman of the Department of Natural Sciences. Dr. Frederick Elkin is appointed Chairman of the Department of Sociology. Dr. Michael Millgate is appointed Chairman of the Department of English. All appointments are effective July 1, 1964.

Category: Administrative History – Faculty.

Source: York University press release, 28 February 1964. Presidents? papers. York University Archives.


Date: 1964 March ? May.

Event: The Board approves the recommendation that Atkinson College establish the Division of Continuing Education to provide courses of a non-degree nature. Atkinson College will offer degree courses only. The Board of Governors officially designates the Keele Street and Steeles Avenue site as the ?York campus”, and the Bayview Avenue site as the “Glendon campus?.

Category: Administrative History ? Institution; Academic Life.

Source: York University Gazette, 31 August 1964, p. 16.


Date: 1964 March 13.

Event: The Proctor Field House at Glendon College is officially opened.

Category: Buildings and Property.

Source: Murray G. Ross, These five years, p. 84.


Date: 1964 April 6.

Event: Professor John T. Saywell is promoted to Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Chairman of the Division of Social Science, effective July 1, 1964. Professor Edward L. Pattullo is promoted to Master of the first College and Associate Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science, effective July 1, 1964.

Category: Administrative History – Faculty.

Source: York University press release, 6 April 1964. Presidents? papers. York University Archives.


Date: 1964 April 23.

Event: There is a sod turning ceremony at the Keele Street campus for the Natural Sciences Building, the first structure at the site.

Category: Buildings and Property.

Source: York University Gazette, 31 August 1964, p 40.


Date: 1964 Spring – Fall.

Event: The York University Act Committee is struck to consider changes and revisions to the 1959 York University Act. Board members include Dr. R.F. Farquharson, F.G. Gardiner, the Honourable T. D’Arcy Leonard, W.H. Maloney, and President Murray G. Ross. The Senate Executive Committee reviews the proposed changes, and presents these to the Senate who, in turn, ask for further re-wording of the provisions of the Act. There is much disagreement between the Senate and the Board of Governors regarding issues of governance. A joint Committee is formed to work out a revision of the Act.

Category: Administrative History – Government.

Source: Murray G. Ross, These five years, pp. 16-17; Murray G. Ross, The Way Must Be Tried, p.142; York University Gazette, 31 August 1964, p.14; York University Gazette, 30 September.


1964, p.4; York University Gazette, 31 November 1964, p.2

Date: 1964 June 3.

Source: The Second Convocation for the Inception of Alumni and the official opening of the Proctor Fieldhouse at Glendon campus take place. The Convocation is held on the Glendon campus, Dean McInnis delivers the Convocation address.

Category: Academic Life.

Source: Convocation program, 3 June 1964. Presidents’ papers. York University Archives


Date: 1964 June 15.

Event: June 15 marks the inauguration of the Atkinson College Summer term. Seven courses are offered between 4:30 – 9:30 p.m. on weekdays.

Category: Academic Life.

Source: York University Gazette, 31 March 1964, pp. 3-4.


Date: 1964 July 1.

Event: A series of administrative appointments come into effect. Professor John T. Saywell is promoted to Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Chairman of the Division of Social Science. Professor John J. Conway is appointed Master-Elect of the College to be opened on the York campus in 1966. Edward L. Pattullo is promoted to Associate Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science.

Category: Administrative History – Faculty; Administrative History – Government.

Source: York University Gazette, 31 August 1964, p.32.


Date: 1964 September 7.

Event: The York Student Administrative Council hosts the Canadian Union of Students? 28 th Annual Conference from September 7 through September 15.

Category: Cultural Life – Students.

Source: Murray G. Ross, These five years, p. 68; York University Gazette, 31 August 1964, p. 42.


Date: 1964 September 14.

Event: The Board approves a new administrative structure for the University. Four Vice-Presidents are to be appointed on January 1, 1965.

Category: Administrative History ? Government.

Source: Murray G. Ross, These five years, p. 18.


Date: 1964 September 23

Event: Classes begin for the 1964 ? 65 academic year. Over 400 students are enrolled in first year. The overall enrolment is 740 students at Glendon. There are approximately 1 000 evening college students. The faculty numbers 79 and the staff numbers approximately 170.

Almost 100 scholarships are awarded in 1964, including “York University First Class Honours Scholarships” which are awarded to students with 75 % and over on 9 grade XIII examination papers. The scholarships are renewable with first class standing.

The library?s collection grows to 52 804 catalogued volumes and 947 periodical subscriptions.

Source: Murray G. Ross, New Universities in the Modern World, Chapter VI, ?York University? (typescript.) Presidents? papers. York University Archives; York University press release, 14 September 1964. Presidents? papers. York University Archives .


Date: 1964 September 23.

Event: York?s first graduate students register in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in the Department of Psychology to pursue Master’s (9 students) and Ph.D. programs (2 students). Professor Edgar McInnis is the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Professor W.H. Coon is the Director of the Graduate Program for the 1964-1966 term. Tuition fees are $500. Professor N.S. Endler is the Undergraduate Coordinator for the Psychology Department for 1964-1967.

Category: Academic Life.

Source: York University Gazette, 30 September 1964, p.22; Norman Endler, ?Department of Psychology History,? York University Archives.


Date: 1964 October.

Event: The Board of Governors appoints the firm Alleward and Gouinlock as the architects for Atkinson College and the Continuing Education Centre, and the President’s House (which is never built.) The architectural firm Mathers and Haldenby will undertake the extension of the Wood Residence and the construction of Residence II at Glendon.

Category: Buildings and Property.

Source: York University Gazette, 31 November 1964, p.7.


FOUNDERS

Date: 1963 July 1.

People: The Board of Governors, 1964-65

  • The Honorable Robert H. Winters, Chairman
  • Allen T. Lambert, Vice-Chairman
  • Air Marshal W.A. Curtis, Chancellor
  • Murray G. Ross, President
  • Edgar G. Burton
  • Mrs. John David Eaton
  • R.F. Farquharson
  • Frederick G. Gardiner
  • Bertrand Gerstein
  • John Gray
  • W.C. Harris
  • J. William Horsey
  • W.F. James
  • John D. Leitch
  • The Honourable T. D’Arcy Leonard
  • A.J. Little
  • L.G. Lumbers
  • William Mahoney
  • David B. Mansur
  • John S. Proctor
  • W.P. Scott
  • John H. Taylor
  • Edwin H. Walker

Category: Administrative History – Government.

Source: Murray G. Ross, These five years, Appendix B ?THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS?, pp. 103 – 104; York University Calendar for the fifth Academic Year 1964 ? 65, p.7; York University Gazette, 30 August 1964, p.20.


Date: 1964 July 1.

People: York University Administration, 1964-1965.

  • Murray G. Ross, President
  • Timothy E. Reid, Assistant to the President
  • Edgar W, McInnis, Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies
  • John T. Saywell, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science
  • Edward L. Pattullo, Associate Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science
  • Willard W. Piepenburg, Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science
  • Dr. George Tatham, Dean of Students
  • Howard Langille, Assistant to the Dean of Students and Director of Athletics
  • Bryce M. Taylor, Assistant Director of Athletics
  • D. McC. Smyth, Dean of the Joseph E. Atkinson College
  • William W. Small, Comptroller and Secretary of the Board of Governors
  • Thomas F. O’Connell, Director of Library Services
  • Arthur C. Johnson, Director of Campus Planning
  • John K. Armour, Director of Physical Plant
  • Donald S. Rickerd, Registrar
  • Dr. John S. Senn, Director of University Health Services
  • Mrs. Dee G. Appley, Director of Psychological Services

Category: Administrative History – Government.

Source: Murray Ross, These Five Years, Appendix D ?The Faculty and Staff,? p. 115; York University Calendar for the fifth Academic Year 1964 ? 65, p.8.


Introduction 1955-1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 and beyond – Bibliography