Questions or comments on series statements should be referred to: Doug Adams, Marcia Salmon or Heather Fraser.
Overview of Copy Cataloguing Procedures
As of October, 2008 series statements will be coded only in MARC fields 490 and/or 8XX fields. Older copy may still contain the MARC 440 field. Follow the procedures below as appropriate.
All 4XX and 8XX fields should be checked against our authority file.
440 Series Statements/Added Entry
- MARC field 440 was made obsolete in July 2008, but may still be found in copy. Copy containing a 440 field is acceptable copy.
- All 440 statements should be checked against our authority file to verify the form of the series name that we have used. The approved form of the series statement is found in the MARC field 130 of the authority record. For help with checking authority records in Sirsi go here.
- If the 440 is the approved form (the same as in our authority file) no further action is needed.
- If there is no authority in our database for the 440 check for an authority record in Validator, LC Authorities or AMICUS for the form. Print out the authority record from Validator or other source and drop it into the Authorities Tray. For more information on searching Validator go here.
- If you find discrepancies between the form of the 440 series in the copy and the form in our authority file (MARC field 130) change the 440 to 490 1 and add an 830 for the form of the series we use. See the instructions below for creating a 490/830.
- If you think there is a problem with the series, please refer it to D. Adams, H. Fraser, or M. Salmon for resolution.
Example of a series authority record
Example of a 440 in a bibliographic record
490 Series Statements
All 490 statements should be checked against our authority file.
For help with checking authority records in Sirsi go here.
- If no authority record is found in our database leave in copy.
- Remove any non-filing initial articles that may be present
- If an authority record is found for the series, change the first indicator to 1 and add an 830, even if the two statements will be the same (See Example 2). Follow the practices below for creating a 490/830.
|490||1||[non-filing 0-9]||Form of Series Statement on item
||[non-filing 0-9]||Form of statement taken from the 130 field of the authority record
- This field must be accompanied by an 8XX field.
- Check the form of the 830 field against our authority file. If there is no authority record in our database check for an authority record in Validator, LC Authorities or AMICUS for the form and use that form and treatment. Print out the authority record and drop it into the Authorities Tray.
- If there is no 8XX field present in the copy check the authority file to see if there is an authorized form of the series. If there is an authorized form of the series in our authority file add it as an 830. If there is no authorized form of the statement in our authority file check for an authority record in Validator, LC Authorities or AMICUS for the approved form. Print out the authority record and drop it into the Authorities Tray. If there is no authority record available, leave the 830 as is and refer to Doug, Marcia or Heather F.
- When changing a 440 or 490 0 to a 490 1, add the approved form of the series statement as an 830. For information on MARC code 830 go here.
*The 490 1 and the 830 are the same