Procedures for cataloging hybrid double-sided discs (DualDiscs, DVDplus, DVD+CD, etc.)
Hybrid Discs are discs where one side of the disc is a compact disc (audio) and the other DVD (video, audio). Both sides of the disc can be played. Most are identified with a DualDisc logo.
There is only one disc therefore these item are not catalogued as a compact disc with an accompanying DVD.
A primary format must be decided. The primary format can usually be decided by looking at the packaging and other descriptive information. Most will likely be considered primarily audio sound recordings.
If the primary format is considered to be DVD video give the item to Doug Adams. If the primary format is considered to be CD-ROM or computer files please give the item to Marcia Salmon. If the primary format is considered to be audio sound recording (CD or DVD) follow these procedures.
Catalogue the item as for a standard audio recording. Include the following fields in both copy and original cataloguing:
- Two 007 fields, one for the audio side and one for the DVD
- A 006 field for the DVD side
- The 300 is: 1 DualDisc :|bdigital ;|c4 3/4 in.
- Include the 500 note as follows: Hybrid CD/DVD. One side is a compact disc, one side is a DVD audio/video disc.
- Include the 500 note as follows: This disc may not play in all CD and DVD players.
- Add a 538 if system requirements are stated on the item. Transcribe the requirements as stated on the item (eg. System requirements for DVD-ROM)
- Record the 505 content note based on the content note on the item itself. If necessary include phrasing to clarify content and enclose in square brackets.
- The call number suffix is CD-DVD. eg: DISC R.2764501 CD-DVD
- The item type is AUDIO-CD
Link to the catalogue record for the example: More Songs About Buildings and Food
|110||2||Talking Heads (Musical group)|4prf
||More songs about buildings and food|h[sound recording] /|cTalking Heads.
|260||Burbank, CA :|bSire,|cp2006.|
|300||1 DualDisc :|bdigital ;|c4 3/4 in.|
|500||Hybrid CD/DVD. One side is a compact disc, one side is a DVD audio/video disc.
|500||This disc may not play in all CD and DVD players.
|505||Original album. Thank you for sending me an angel (2:11) ; With our love (3:30) ; The good thing (3:03) ; Warning sign / David byrne, Chris Fantz (3:55) ; The girls want to be with the girls (2:37) ; Found a job (5:00) ; Artists only / David Byrne, Wayne Zieve (3:34) ; I’m not in love (4:33) ; Stay hungry / David Byrne, Chris Frantz (2:39) ; Take me to the river / Al Green, M. Hodges (5:00) ; The big country (5:30) — Bonus tracks (CD side only). Stay hungry (1977 version) (3:44) ; I’m not in love (alt. version) (4:55) ; The big country (alt. version) (5:01) ; Thank you for sending me an angel (2:11) — Video content (DVD side only). Found a job (live at Entermedia Theatre, New York, NY, 1978 (4:45) ; Warning sign (live at Sproul Plaza, Berkeley, CA, 1978 (4:06) — Photo gallery.|
*Some MARC fields have been omitted to conserve space.
Comments or questions to: Stacy Allison-Cassin
Last updated on August 20, 2008