Where to Find Quiet Places in the Libraries
The Libraries are very busy places and can be a bit noisy at times. Need a quiet place to study?
In Scott Library
Not sure where to go?
If you are unsure as to what sort of study space is right for your style, please look for these signs in the Scott Library.
- Conversation Friendly Zones: These areas are great places for people wishing to study with others in groups or with some level of background noise.
- The Atrium on the second floor
- The Collaboratory
- The Balconies overlooking the Atrium
- Silent Zones: These areas are for students wishing to study alone without any distraction. Please help maintain the quiet atmosphere: no talking, no headphones, cell phone ringers off, no noisy food, and minimal and quiet keyboarding only.
- NEW! This year the fourth floor of Scott Library (excluding the balcony seating) is now designated as a silent study area.
- The Silent Study Hall (second floor) accommodates up to 30 students.
- Quiet Zones: These areas are considered quiet, though not entirely silent. If you’re working in these areas, please turn off your cell phone and take conversations out to the balcony.
- First floor reading room (entrance near the Reserves desk)
- Bickell Computer Lab on the first floor
- The third, and fifth floors of Scott (excluding balcony seating)
- Sound & Moving Images Library
- Map Library
And beyond Scott Library…
- In the Peter F. Bronfman Business Library there is a silent study room
- In the Steacie Science and Engineering Library the table area is reasonably quiet
- In the Frost Library (Glendon campus) try the upper-floor carrels.
24/5 Study Space
During late night study you will have access to study space, computers, photocopiers, printers, and group study rooms around the clock from Sunday opening until Friday evening. (Late night study does not include Friday and Saturday nights.)
Those who are using late night study and who rely on public transit should be aware of transit schedules. (Please note the last TTC bus generally leaves the campus at 1:45 am, and the first bus arriving on campus in the morning around 5:45 am.)
During late night hours patrons are encouraged to take advantage of the services offered by the goSAFE program, which operates from 6:00 pm to 2:00 am every day.