Polities : authority, identities, and change /
- Publication info:
- Columbia, S.C. : University of South Carolina Press, c1996.
|Due: Jan 20, 2020||SCOTT-BOOK|
On the Shelf
- Polities : authority, identities, and change / Yale H. Ferguson and Richard W. Mansbach.
- Main Author:
- Ferguson, Yale H.
- Other Authors:
Columbia, S.C. : University of South Carolina Press, 1996
- Physical Description:
xiv, 495 p. : ill.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 421-451) and indexes.
Table of Contents
- Introduction : new paths to theory
- The subject is politics
- Mesopotamia : fission-fusion of the first city polities and empires
- The sources and limits of central authority in mesopotamia
- Greece : structural features of a watershed civilization
- The Polis : triumph and challenge of citizenship
- Ancient China : overlapping polities in an imperial framework
- The mandate of heaven : authority in ancient China
- Mesoamerica : a multitude of polities
- Mesoamerica and the Spanish conquest : the collision of civilizations
- Islam : the evolution of a messianic movement
- The caliphate : the limits of dynastic power
- Italy after Rome : complexity at the nexus of the ancient and modern worlds
- Medieval Italy : competing visions of unity and authority
- The past as prelude.