Mirrors of our playing : paradigms and presences in modern drama /
- Publication info:
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, c1999.
On the Shelf
- Mirrors of our playing : paradigms and presences in modern drama / Thomas R. Whitaker.
- Main Author:
- Whitaker, Thomas R.
Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 1999
- Physical Description:
viii, 309 p.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 281-295) and index.
047211025X (acid-free paper)
Table of Contents
- Playing with the playboy: Synge and tradition
- The music of serious farce: Wilde, Shaw, Orton, and Stoppard
- Communities of heartbreak: from Chekhov and Shaw to Friel and Smith
- Playing hell: Sartre, Beckett, Genet, and Pinter
- The presence of Byron
- Wham, bam, thank you Sam
- Soyinka's roads to the abyss
- Brook and the purpose of playing
- Afterword: Angels in america
- Works cited