Just being difficult? : academic writing in the public arena /
- Publication info:
- Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, 2003.
On the Shelf
- Just being difficult? : academic writing in the public arena / edited by Jonathan Culler and Kevin Lamb.
- Other Authors:
Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, 2003
- Physical Description:
223 p. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Difficult style and "Illustrious" vernaculars / Margaret Ferguson
- Hume's learned and conversible worlds / Robin Valenza and John Bender
- Bad writing and good philosophy / Jonathan Culler
- The metaphysics of clarity and the freedom of meaning / John McCumber
- Feminism's broken English / Robyn Wiegman
- The resistance of theory, or, The worth of agony / Rey Chow
- Styles of intellectual publics / Michael Warner
- On difficulty, the avant-garde, and critical moribundity / Peter Brooks
- Difficulty in modern poetry and aesthetics / Robert Kaufman
- Bad writing / Barbara Johnson
- The morality of form, or, What's "bad" about "bad writing"? / David Palumbo-Liu
- The politics of the production of knowledge / Gayatri Spivak
- Values of difficulty / Judith Butler.