Masters, servants, and magistrates in Britain and the Empire, 1562-1955 /
- Publication info:
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2004.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
The law relating to master and servant : comprising domestic and menial servants and clerks, husbandmen, and persons employed in the different manufactures : and the principal statutes relating to workmen, the settlement of disputes, tickets of work, limitation of labour, payment of wages, school attendance of children, &c. : Including the New Factory Act... / by C.J.B. Hertslet. --
KF 894 G73 1850A
- Masters, servants, and magistrates in Britain and the Empire, 1562-1955 / edited by Douglas Hay and Paul Craven.
- Other Authors:
Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, 2004
- Related Resource:
- Physical Description:
xi, 592 p.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
0807828777 (cloth : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- England, 1562-1875 : the law and its uses / Douglas Hay
- Early British America, 1585-1830 : freedom bound / Christopher Tomlins
- Law and labor in eighteenth-century Newfoundland / Jerry Bannister
- Canada, 1670-1935 : symbolic and instrumental enforcement in loyalist North America / Paul Craven
- Australia, 1788-1902 : a working man's paradise? / Michael Quinlan
- The Colonial Office, 1820-1955 : constantly the subject of small struggles / K. Banton
- The British Caribbean, 1823-1838 : the transition from slave to free legal status / Mary Turner
- Urban British Guiana, 1838-1924 : wharf rats, centipedes, and pork knockers / Juanita de Barros
- South Africa, 1841-1924 : race, contract, and coercion / Martin Chanock
- Hong Kong, 1841-1870 : all the servants in prison and nobody to take care of the house / Christopher Munn
- Britain : the defeat of the 1844 master and servants bill / Christopher Frank
- India, 1858-1930 : the illusion of free labor / Michael Anderson
- Assam and the West Indies, 1860-1920 : immobilizing plantation labor / Prabhu P. Mohapatra
- West Africa, 1874-1948 : employment legislation in a nonsettler peasant economy / Richard Rathbone
- Kenya, 1895-1939 : registration and rough justice / David M. Anderson.