McKeachie's teaching tips : strategies, research, and theory for college and university teachers /
- Publication info:
- Boston : Houghton Mifflin, c2006.
On the Shelf
- McKeachie's teaching tips : strategies, research, and theory for college and university teachers / Wilbert J. McKeachie, Marilla Svinicki ; with chapters by Barbara Hofer ... [et al.].
- Main Author:
- McKeachie, Wilbert James, 1921-
- Other Authors:
Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2006
- 12th ed.
- Variant Title:
- Teaching tips : strategies, research, and theory for college and university teachers
- Variant Title:
- Teaching tips : a guidebook for the beginning college teacher
- Uniform Title:
- Item Description:
Prev. ed. published in 2002. Later ed.: Teaching tips : strategies, research, and theory for college and university teachers. c1994. Published: Lexington, MA : D.C. Heath, c1994. Teaching tips : a guidebook for the beginning college teacher. c1986.
- Physical Description:
xxii, 407 p. ; ill., ; 21 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 360-389) and index.
Table of Contents
- Countdown for course preparation
- Meeting a class for the first time
- Reading as active learning
- Facilitating discussion : posing problems, listening, questioning
- How to make lectures more effective
- Assessing, testing, and evaluating : grading is not the most important function
- Testing : the details
- Tests from the students' perspective
- What to do about cheating
- The ABC's of assigning grades
- Motivation in the college classroom
- Teaching culturally diverse students
- Dealing with student problems and problem students (there's almost always at least one!)
- How to enhance learning by using high-stakes and low-stakes writing
- Active learning : cooperative, collaborative, and peer learning
- Problem-based learning : teaching with cases, simulations, and games
- Technology and teaching
- Teaching large classes (you can still get active learning!)
- Laboratory instruction : ensuring an active learning experience
- Teacher's role in experiential learning
- Teaching by distance education
- Teaching students how to become more strategic and self-regulated learners
- Teaching thinking
- Ethics of teaching and the teaching of ethics
- Vitality and growth throughout your teaching career.