Appointing judges in an age of judicial power : critical perspectives from around the world /
- Publication info:
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, c2006.
On the Shelf
- Appointing judges in an age of judicial power : critical perspectives from around the world / edited by Kate Malleson and Peter H. Russell.
- Other Authors:
Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 2006
- Physical Description:
xii, 473 p. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references: p. -468.
9780802090539 (bound) :0802090532 (bound) :9780802093813 (pbk.) :0802093817 (pbk.) :
Table of Contents
- 1. Scottish Judicial Appointments Board : new wine in old bottles? / Alan Paterson
- 2. new judicial appointments commission in England and Wales : new wine in new bottles? / Kate Malleson
- 3. Judicial appointments in post-charter Canada : a system in transition / F. L. Morton
- 4. Legal controversies over federal judicial selection in the United States : breaking the cycle of obstruction and retribution over judicial appointments / Michael C. Tolley
- 5. Judicial appointments in New Zealand : if it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done openly and directly / James Allan
- 6. 'The judicial whisper goes around' : appointment of judicial officers in Australia / Elizabeth Handsley
- 7. Merit selection and diversity in the Dutch judiciary / Leny E. De Groot-Van Leeuwen
- 8. Judicial selection in Italy : a civil service model with partisan results / Mary L. Volcansek
- 9. selection of judges in France : searching for a new legitimacy / Doris Marie Provine and Antoine Garapon
- 10. selection process of constitutional court judges in Germany / Christine Landfried
- 11. Judicial selection for international courts : towards common principles and practices / Ruth Mackenzie and Phillipe Sands
- 12. Judicial appointments and promotions in Israel : constitution, law and politics / Eli M. Salzberger
- 13. politics of judicial selection in Egypt / Mahmoud M. Hamad
- 14. Judicial selection in post-apartheid South Africa / Francois Du Bois
- 15. judiciary in transition : reflections on the selection of judges in Namibia / Sufian Hemed Bukurura
- 16. Creating a complaint judiciary in Zimbabwe, 2000-2003 / Derek Matyszak
- 17. politics of judicial selection and appointments in Japan and ten South and Southeast Asian countries / David M. O'Brien
- 18. Judicial selection in Russia : towards accountability and centralization / Alexei Trochev.19. Improving the quality of the judiciary in China : recent reforms to the procedures for appointing, promoting, and discharging judges / Colin Hawes.