The philosophy of scientific experimentation /
- Publication info:
- Pittsburgh, Pa. : University of Pittsburgh Press, c2003.
On the Shelf
- The philosophy of scientific experimentation / edited by Hans Radder.
- Other Authors:
Pittsburgh, Pa. : University of Pittsburgh Press, 2003
- Physical Description:
xii, 311 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 285-301) and index.
0822957957 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Toward a more developed philosophy of scientific experimentation / Hans Radder
- The materiality of instruments in a metaphysics for experiments / Rom Harré
- Thing knowledge: outline of a materialist theory of knowledge / Davis Baird
- Physics, experiments, and the concept of nature / Peter Kroes
- Experimentation, causal inference, and instrumental realism / Jim Woodward
- Technology as basis and object of experimental practices / Rainer Lange
- Theory-ladenness and scientific instruments in experimentation / Michael Heidelberger
- Technology and theory in experimental science / Hans Radder
- The idols of experiment: transcending the "etc. list" / Giora Hon
- Models, simulation, and "computer experiments" / Evelyn Fox Keller
- Experiments without material intervention: model experiments, virtual experiments, and virtually experiments / Mary S. Morgan
- Designing instruments and the design of nature / Daniel Rothbart
- Varying the cognitive span: experimentation, visualization, and computation / David Gooding.