The disappearing liberal intellectual /
- Publication info:
- New York : Basic Books, c2006.
On the Shelf
- The disappearing liberal intellectual / Eric Lott.
- Main Author:
- Lott, Eric.
New York : Basic Books, 2006
"Whatever happened to liberal intellectuals of the baby-boom generation? In The Disappearing Liberal Intellectual, Eric Lott shows that some charter members of the New Left are suffering from a condition that he has dubbed "boomeritis." Too secure in their university appointments, lecture tours, and book deals, the once-rising stars of the liberal elite - including Todd Gitlin, Michael Lind, Paul Berman, Greil Marcus, and Henry Louis Gates, Jr. - have drifted away from their radical moorings toward the political center."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
xi, 260 p. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 211-243) and index.
9780465041862 (hardcover : alk. paper)0465041868 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Introduction : boomeritis
- 1. fate of '68 : when the New Left was old
- 2. new cosmopolitanism : the color-blind club
- 3. Nation time : liberal nationalism as social theory and literary history
- 4. Public image limited : the new Black intellectuals
- 5. first boomer : Bill Clinton, George W., and fictions of state
- 6. After identity, politics : Seattle, globalization, and the return of universalism
- 7. Anti-American studies : 9/11, patriotism, and the nation-state
- Epilogue : treason of the clerks.