The future of human rights /
- Publication info:
- New Delhi ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2006.
On the Shelf
- The future of human rights / Upendra Baxi.
- Main Author:
- Baxi, Upendra.
New Delhi ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2006
- 2nd ed.
"This extensively revised and updated edition critically re-examines the contemporary discourses on the nature of 'human rights', their histories, and the myths that are embedded in them. It contributies an alternative reading of those histories by placing the concerns and interests of the 'people in struggle and communities of resistance' at centre stage."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
xxiv, 339 p. ; 22 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -329) and indexes.
Table of Contents
- 1. age of human rights?
- 2. Two notions of human rights : 'modern' and 'contemporary'
- 3. practices of 'contemporary' human rights activism
- 4. Too many or too human rights?
- 5. Critiquing rights : politics of identity and difference
- 6. What is living and dead in relativism?
- 7. Human rights movements and human rights markets
- 8. emergence of an alternate paradigm of human rights
- 9. Market fundamentalisms : business ethics at the Altar of human rights.