Law and social movements /
- Publication info:
- Aldershot, Hants, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2006.
On the Shelf
- Law and social movements / edited by Michael McCann.
- Other Authors:
Aldershot, Hants, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 2006
- Physical Description:
xxvi, 636 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
0754624978 (alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- 1. Legal mobilization and social reform movements : notes on theory and its application / Michael W. McCann
- 2. Positivism, interpretivism, and the study of law / Gerald N. Rosenberg
- 3. Causal versus constitutive explanations (or, on the difficulty of being so positive ...) / Michael McCann
- 4. Right, rage, and remedy : forms of law in political discourse / John Brigham
- 5. structural context of novel rights claims : southern civil rights organizing, 1961-1966 / Francesca Polletta
- 6. Human rights in Israel/Palestine : the history and politics of a movement / Lisa Hajjar
- 7. So help me God : a comparative study of religious interest group litigation / Jayanth K. Krishnan and Kevin R. den Dulk
- 8. ADA on the road : disability rights in Germany / Katharina C. Heyer
- 9. Rights as excess : understanding the politics of special rights / Jonathan Goldberg-Hiller and Neal Milner
- 10. Law as a weapon in social conflict / Austin T. Turk
- 11. Legal mobilization as a social movement tactic : the struggle for equal employment opportunity / Paul Burstein
- 12. Comparing women's rights litigation in the Netherlands and the United States / Susan M. Olson
- 13. Long-term strategies in Japanese environmental litigation / Robert L. Kidder and Setsuo Miyazawa
- 14. Fufubessei movement in Japan : thinking about women's resistance and subjectivity / Ki-young Shin
- 15. Law and the protection of cultural communities : the case of Native American fishing rights / Michael R. Anderson
- 16. Legal control of the southern civil rights movement / Steven E. Barkan
- 17. Social movements, law, and society : the institutionalization of the environmental movement / Cary Coglianese
- 18. Rights and social movements : counter-hegemonic strategies / Alan Hunt
- 19. Race, reform, and retrenchment : transformation and legitimation in antidiscrimination law / Kimberle Williams Crenshaw
- 20. Family, law and sexuality : feminist engagements / Susan B. Boyd.21. Postmodernism, protest, and the new social movements / Joel F. Handler
- 22. International law and social movements : challenges of theorizing resistance / Balakrishnan Rajagopal.