The continuity of mind /
- Publication info:
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2007.
|Due: Jan 23, 2020||SCOTT-BOOK|
On the Shelf
- The continuity of mind / Michael Spivey.
- Main Author:
- Spivey, J. M.
New York : Oxford University Press, 2007
Oxford psychology series ; no. 44.
"The cognitive and neural sciences have been on the brink of a paradigm shift for over a decade. The traditional information processing framework in psychology, with its computer metaphor of the mind, is still considered the mainstream approach. However, the dynamical systems perspective on mental activity is now receiving a more rigorous treatment, allowing it to move beyond the trendy buzzwords that have become associated with it. The Continuity of Mind will help to galvanize the forces of dynamical systems theory, cognitive and computational neuroscience, connectionism, and ecological psychology that are needed to complete this paradigm shift."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
xv, 428 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 355-420) and index.
0195170784 (alk. paper)9780195170788 (alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- 1. Toward a continuity psychology
- 2. Some conceptual tools for tracking continuous mental trajectories
- 3. Some experimental tools for tracking continuous mental trajectories
- 4. Some simulation tools for tracking continuous mental trajectories
- 5. Constructive feedback for modularity
- 6. Temporal dynamics in categorization
- 7. Temporal dynamics in language comprehension
- 8. Temporal dynamics in visual perception
- 9. Temporal dynamics in action
- 10. Temporal dynamics in reasoning
- 11. Uniting and freeing the mind
- 12. Dynamical (self-)consciousness?
- App. MATLAB code for several normalized recurrence simulations.