Feminist interpretations of John Locke /
- Publication info:
- University Park, Pa. : Pennsylvania State University Press, c2007.
Leslie Frost Library
On the Shelf
- Feminist interpretations of John Locke / edited by Nancy J. Hirschmann and Kirstie M. McClure.
- Other Authors:
University Park, Pa. : Pennsylvania State University Press, 2007
- Related Resource:
- Physical Description:
xi, 336 p. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -325) and index.
9780271029528 (cloth : alk. paper)0271029528 (cloth : alk. paper)9780271029535 (pbk. : alk. paper)0271029536 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Introduction: Johnny, we hardly knew ye / Nancy J. Hirschmann and Kirstie M. McClure
- Marriage contract and social contract in seventeenth-century English political thought / Mary Lyndon Shanley
- Afterword: equality, liberty, and marriage contracts / Mary Lyndon Shanley
- "Mere auxiliaries to the commonwealth" : women and the origins of liberalism / Teresa Brennan and Carole Pateman
- Afterword: mere auxiliaries to the commonwealth in an age of globalization / Carole Pateman and Teresa Brennan
- Early liberal roots of feminism : John Locke's attack on patriarchy / Melissa A. Butler
- Afterword: roots and shoots- revisiting Locke's attack on patriarchy / Melissa A. Butler
- Models of politics and the place of women in Locke's political thought / Gordon Schochet
- Intersectionality before intersectionality was cool : the importance of class to feminist interpretations of Locke / Nancy J. Hirschmann
- Gender and narrative in Locke's Two treatises of government / Terrell Carver
- Recovering Locke's midwifery notes / Joanne H. Wright
- Locke, Adam, and Eve / Jeremy Waldron
- "His nuts for a piece of metal" : fetishism in the monetary writings of John Locke / Carol Pech
- "Philosophy's gaudy dress" : rhetoric and fantasy in the Lockean social contract / Linda M.G. Zerilli.