Writers' houses and the making of memory /
- Publication info:
- New York : Routledge, c2008.
On the Shelf
Anecdotes, observations, and characters of books and men : collected from the conversion of Mr. Pope and other eminent persons of his time / by the Reverend Joseph Spence. As first published from the original papers with notes and a life of the author by Samuel Weller Singer and now newly introducted by Bonamy Dobree. --
PN 165 S6 1964A
- Writers' houses and the making of memory / edited by Harald Hendrix.
- Other Authors:
New York : Routledge, 2008
- Related Resource:
- Physical Description:
vii, 284 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 245-262) and index.
9780415957427 (hardback : alk. paper)0415957427 (hardback : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- 1. Writers' Houses as Media of Expression and Remembrance: From Self-Fashioning to Cultural Memory / Harald Hendrix
- Pt. I. Cultural Memory
- 2. Early Modern Invention of Literary Tourism: Petrarch's Houses in France and Italy / Harald Hendrix
- 3. Shakespeare's Birthplace in Stratford: Bardolatry Reconsidered / Michael Rosenthal
- 4. Remembrance and Revision: Goethe's Houses in Weimar and Frankfurt / Bodo Plachta
- 5. Goethe's Home in the "First City of the World": The Making of the Casa di Goethe in Rome / Dorothee Hock
- 6. Abbotsford: Dislocation and Cultural Remembrance / Ann Rigney
- 7. Myth and Memory: Reading the Bronte Parsonage / Christine Alexander
- 8. Memory Regained: Founding and Funding the Keats-Shelley Memorial House in Rome / Catherine Payling
- 9. Rooms of Memory: The Praz Museum in Rome / Paola Colaiacomo
- Pt. II. Self-Fashioning
- 10. Casa Vasari in Arezzo: Writing and Decorating the Artist's House / Ben Thomas
- 11. In Vasto and in London: The Rossettis' Houses as Mirrors of Dislocated National Identities / Paola Spinozzi
- 12. William Morris's Houses and the Shaping of Aesthetic Socialism / Vita Fortunati
- 13. Memories of Exoticism and Empire: Henry Rider Haggard's Wunderkammer at Ditchingharn House / Marilena Parlati
- 14. La Maison d'un artiste: The Goncourts, Bibelots and Fin de Siecle Interiority / Claire O'mahony
- 15. Collecting and Autobiography: A Note on the Origins of La Casa della vita by Mario Praz and Its Relation to Edmond de Goncourt's La Maison d'un artiste / Patrizia Rosazza Ferraris
- 16. Nomadic Investment in History: Pierre Loti's House at Rochefort-sur-Mer / Stephen Bann
- 17. "Une chambre mentale": Proust's Solitude / Jon Kear
- 18. Epilogue: The Appeal of Writers' Houses / Harald Hendrix.