Music, performance, meaning : selected essays /
- Publication info:
- Aldershot, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2007.
On the Shelf
- Music, performance, meaning : selected essays / Nicholas Cook.
- Main Author:
- Cook, Nicholas, 1950-
Aldershot, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 2007
- Related Resource:
- Physical Description:
xxvii, 349 p. : ill., music ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780754627180 (alk. paper)0754627187 (alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Musical form and the listener (1987)
- The perception of large-scale tonal closure (1987)
- Beethoven's unfinished piano concerto : a case of double vision? (1989)
- Schenker's theory of music as ethics (1989)
- The editor and the virtuoso, or Schenker vs. Bülow (1991)
- Heinrich Schenker, polemicist : a reading of the Ninth Symphony monograph (1995)
- Music minus one : rock, theory, and performance (1995-96)
- The domestic Gesamtkunstwerk, or record sleeves and reception (1998)
- At the borders of musical identity : Schenker, Corelli and the graces (1999)
- Theorizing musical meaning (2001)
- Form and syntax : a tale of two terms (2002)
- The other Beethoven : heroism, the canon, and the works of 1813-14 (2003)
- Performance writ large : desultory remarks on furnishing the abode of the retired scholar (2003)
- In praise of symbolic poverty (2004)
- Writing on music or axes to grind : road rage and musical community (2003)
- Making music together, or improvisation and its others (2004).