Political approaches to educational administration and leadership /
- Publication info:
- New York : Routledge, 2008.
On the Shelf
- Political approaches to educational administration and leadership / [edited by] Eugénie A. Samier with Adam G. Stanley.
- Other Authors:
New York : Routledge, 2008
- Physical Description:
vi, 319 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
9780415962070 (hbk)0415962072 (hbk)9780203928677 (ebk)0203928679 (ebk)
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction / Eugenie A. Samier
- Pt. I. Political Philosophy: The Foundations
- 2. Beyond Foxes and Lions: Machiavelli's Discourse on Power and Leadership / Andrea Migone
- 3. Administration as a Humanistic Pursuit: Kant and Hegel on the Political Critique of Educational Administration / Eugenie A. Samier
- 4. On Jurgen Habermas' Critical Theory and the Political Dimensions of Educational Administration / Peter Milley
- 5. Hayek, Leadership, and Learning / Peter Gronn
- 6. Bourdieu's Distinctions of Taste, Talent, and Power: Bridging Political Fields and Administrative Practice / Carol E. Harris
- 7. Hermeneutic Leadership: Hannah Arendt and the Importance of Thinking What We are Doing / Stephanie Mackler
- 8. Democratic Ideals, Ethics, Foucault, and the Hegemony of Modern Thought in American Education: A Critical Enquiry / Charles J. Fazzaro
- Pt. II. Political Analysis: The Critique
- 9. Risky Policy Processes: Accountability and School Leadership / Michele Schmidt
- 10. Putting Alternative Perspectives to Work in the Politics of Education / Michelle D. Young and Gerardo R. Lopez
- 11. Politics of Civil Society and the Possibility of Change: A Speculation on Leadership in Education / Richard Bates
- 12. Politics of Education in Museums / Read M. Diket
- 13. Politics of Community Renewal and Educational Reform: School Improvement in Areas of Social Disadvantage / Lawrence Angus
- Pt. III. Current Political Controversies: The Practice
- 14. At the Service of the (Restructured) State: Principal's Work and Neoliberal Ideology / Janice Wallace
- 15. Listening to Student Voice in the Democratisation of Schooling / John Smyth
- 16. New McCarthyism: The Right Wing's Assault on American Academic Thought / Fenwick W. English
- 17. Supranational Organisations and their Impact upon Nation State Education: The Case of the International Monetary Fund / Michael Bottery.