Immigration and the American dream : battling the political hype and hysteria /
- Publication info:
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield : Distributed by National Book Network, c2008.
On the Shelf
- Immigration and the American dream : battling the political hype and hysteria / Margaret Sands Orchowski.
- Main Author:
- Orchowski, Margaret Sands, 1941-
Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield : 2008
"Immigration and the American Dream outlines the history of U.S. Immigration, explains the big issues behind the emotions, challenges the often heard (but rarely questioned) myths and partisan labeling, objectively reports on the politics behind Congressional immigration reform initiatives, and forewarns readers about the possible future efforts on immigration. The book is filled with accessible anecdotes, sources where readers can get more information, and recent quotes from prominent individuals and newspapers."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
vi, 257 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780742558748 (cloth : alk. paper)0742558746 (cloth : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Pt. I. Background
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Opening Pandora's Box: Surprising History of U.S. Immigration
- 3. Facts: Who, Why, Where, What, How, and When?
- 4. Vocabulary of Immigration: Buzzwords, Framing, and Spin
- 5. Six Mantras and Myths about Immigration: Often Heard, Rarely Questioned
- Pt. II. News Story
- 6. Issues Impacting Immigration: The Hottest Ones on the Hill, on K Street, and around Massachusetts Avenue
- 7. Impact of Immigration on the Host State
- 8. Immigration Politics
- Pt. III. Breaking News
- 9. Future: What's Next?
- 10. Conclusion: "Es Su Pais"