Yearning to breathe free : seeking asylum in Australia /
- Publication info:
- Leichhardt, N.S.W. : Federation Press, 2007.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Yearning to breathe free : seeking asylum in Australia / editors, Dean Lusher, Nick Haslam.
- Other Authors:
Leichhardt, N.S.W. : Federation Press, 2007
"Yearning to breathe free presents an overview of the historical, social and political contexts that have shaped Australia's recent treatment of asylum seekers. An eminent group of authors offers a clear-eyed view of the many dimensions of the asylum seeker predicament, including its psychological and humanitarian consequences, and lays out an agenda for change in policy."--Provided by publisher.
- Physical Description:
xxi, 281 p. ; 22 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Australia's response to asylum seekers / Dean Lusher, Nikola Balvin, Amy Nethery and Joanne Tropea
- Been there, done that? / Klaus Neumann
- Boats and borders: asylum seekers and elections, 1977 and 2001 / Chelsea Piper Rodd
- Reassessing the Tampa / Peter Mares
- Perilous journeys / Arnold Zable
- The 'Pacific Solution' / Michael Gordon
- Not in my name: the People's Inquiry into Detention / Linda Briskman and Chris Goddard
- The impact of immigration detention on the mental health of asylum seekers / Patricia Austin, Derrick Silove and Zachary Steel
- Mandatory detention and brain structure and function / Christine Canty and Christopher Benjamin
- The invisibles: asylum seekers holding bridging visas / Margaret Theologou and Winsome Roberts
- Two asylum seekers' stories / Erin Taylor
- Supporters of asylum seekers / Pamela Curr
- Meaning in life and social connectedness: the experience of Sudanese young people (re)settling in Australia / Susannah Tipping, Di Bretherton and Ida Kaplan
- Those people / Carmen Lawrence
- The news media?s representation of asylum seekers / Angela Romano
- Words excusing exclusion of asylum seekers / Michael Clyne
- Attitudes towards asylum seekers: the psychology of exclusion / Nick Haslam and Anne Pedersen
- Post-Palmer reform of the Immigration Department: progress and pitfalls / David Manne
- The need for a uniform community-based reception policy for asylum seekers in Australia / Grant Mitchell
- Australia?s refugee policy / Julian Burnside.