Power struggles : hydro development and First Nations in Manitoba and Quebec /
- Publication info:
- Winnipeg : University of Manitoba Press, c2008.
On the Shelf
- Power struggles : hydro development and First Nations in Manitoba and Quebec / Thibault Martin and Steven M. Hoffman, editors.
- Other Authors:
Winnipeg : University of Manitoba Press, 2008
"Power Struggles: Hydro Development and First Nations in Manitoba and Quebec examines the evolution of new agreements between First Nations and Inuit and the hydro corporations in Quebec and Manitoba, including the Wuskwatim Dam Project, Paix des Braves, and the Great Whale Project. In the 1970s, both provinces signed so-called "modern treaties" with First Nations for the development of large hydro projects in Aboriginal territories. In recent times, however, the two provinces have diverged in their implementation, and public opinion of these agreements has ranged from celebratory to outrage. Power Struggles brings together perspectives on these issues from both scholars and activists."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
334 p. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -326) and index.
9780887557057 (pbk.)0887557058 (pbk.)
Table of Contents
- Introduction / Thibault Martin and Steven M. Hoffman
- Pt. I. Historical and Theoretical Perspectives on Hydro Developments, the State, and the First Peoples
- Foreword / John Bonner
- 1. Hydro Development in Quebec and Manitoba: Old Relationships or New Social Contract? / Thibault Martin
- 2. State, The Marketplace, and First Nations: Theorizing First Nation Self-Determination in an Era of Globalization / Gabrielle A. Slowey
- 3. Way to Modern Treaties: A Review of Hydro Projects and Agreements in Manitoba and Quebec / Romuald Wera and Thibault Martin
- 4. Long Walk of Aboriginal Peoples: Achieving Rights, Freedom, and Self-Determination (1950
- 2005) / Marc-Adelard Tremblay and Jules Dufour
- Pt. II. Manitoba Experience: A Legacy of Disrespect
- Foreword / Eugenie Mereredi and William Osborne
- 5. Engineering Poverty: Colonialism and Hydroelectric Development in Northern Manitoba / Steven M. Hoffman
- 6. Step Back: The Nisichawayasihk Cree Nation and the Wuskwatim Project / Peter Kulchyski
- 7. In Service to Globalization: Manitoba Hydro, Aboriginal Communities, and the Integration of Electrical Markets / Steven M. Hoffman and Ken Bradley
- 8. Monitoring for Success: Designing and Implementing a Monitoring Regime for Northern Manitoba / Lydia Dobrovolny
- Pt. III. Toward a Change of Paradigm in Quebec
- Foreword / Romeo Saganash
- 9. Should the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement Serve as a Model Agreement for Other First Nations? / Renee Dupuis
- 10. End of an Era in Quebec: The Great Whale Project and the Inuit of Kuujjuarapik and the Umiujaq / Thibault Martin
- 11. More Dams for Nitassinan: New Business Partnerships between Hydro-Quebec and Innu Communities / Paul Charest
- 12. Governance and Hydro Development in Quebec and Manitoba / Brian Craik
- Appendix. Selected Web Sites.