The scientific life : a moral history of a late modern vocation /
- Publication info:
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2008.
Steacie Science and Engineering Library
|Due: Jan 30, 2020||STEAC-BOOK|
On the Shelf
Responsible science : ensuring the integrity of the research process / Panel on Scientific Responsibility and the Conduct of Research, Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine.
Q 180.55 M67 C66 1992 V.2
Ethics education and scientific and engineering research : what's been learned? what should be done? : summary of a workshop / Rachelle Hollander, editor ; Carol R. Arenberg, co-editor ; Center for Engineering, Ethics, and Society; National Academy of Engineering of the National Academies.
Q 180.55 M67 E85 2009
- The scientific life : a moral history of a late modern vocation / Steven Shapin.
- Main Author:
- Shapin, Steven.
Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2008
"Who are scientists? What kind of people are they? What capacities and virtues are thought to stand behind their considerable authority? They are experts - indeed, highly respected experts - authorized to describe and interpret the natural world and widely trusted to help transform knowledge into power and profit. But are they morally different from other people? The Scientific Life is historian Steven Shapin's story about who scientists are, who we think they are, and why our sensibilities about such things matter."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
xvii, 468 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -439) and index.
9780226750248 (cloth : alk. paper)0226750248 (pbk.)
Table of Contents
- 1. Knowledge and virtue : the way we live now
- 2. From calling to job : nature, truth, method, and vocation from the seventeenth to the nineteenth centuries
- 3. moral equivalence of the scientist : a history of the very idea
- 4. Who is the industrial scientist? : the view from the tower
- 5. Who is the industrial scientist? : the view from the managers
- 6. scientist and the civic virtues : the moral life of organized science
- 7. scientific entrepreneur : money, motives, and the place of virtue
- 8. Visions of the future : uncertainty and virtue in the world of high-tech and venture capital
- way we live now : epilogue.