Grade inflation : academic standards in higher education /
- Publication info:
- Albany : State University of New York Press, c2008.
On the Shelf
- Grade inflation : academic standards in higher education / edited by Lester H. Hunt.
- Other Authors:
Albany : State University of New York Press, 2008
"This book provides a provocative look at the issues and controversies surrounding grade inflation, and, more generally, grading practices in American higher education. The contributors confront the issues from a number of different disciplines and varying points of view. Topics explored include empirical evidence for and against the claim that there is a general upward trend in grading, whether grade inflation (if it exists) is a problem, which ethical considerations are relevant to grading, and whether heavy reliance on anonymous student evaluations of teaching excellence has a distorting effect on grading practices. Finally, the contributions offer contrasting perspectives on the prospects for reform."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
xxiv, 223 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780791474976 (hardcover : alk. paper)0791474976 (hardcover : alk. paper)9780791474983 (pbk. : alk. paper)0791474984 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Foreword / John D. Wiley
- 1. Dangerous Myth of Grade Inflation / Alfie Kohn
- 2. Undergraduate Grades: A More Complex Story Than "Inflation" / Clifford Adelman
- 3. Understanding Grade Inflation / Richard Kamber
- 4. Grade Inflation and Grade Variation: What's All the Fuss About? / Harry Brighouse
- 5. From Here to Equality: Grading Policies for Egalitarians / Francis K. Schrag
- 6. Grade "Inflation" and the Professionalism of the Professoriate / Mary Biggs
- 7. Fissures in the Foundation: Why Grade Conflation Could Happen / Mary Biggs
- 8. Grading Teachers: Academic Standards and Student Evaluations / Lester H. Hunt
- 9. Combating Grade Inflation: Obstacles and Opportunities / Richard Kamber
- 10. Grade Distortion, Bureaucracy, and Obfuscation at the University of Alabama / David T. Beito and Charles W. Nuckolls
- Afterword: Focusing on the Big Picture / Lester H. Hunt.