The multi-cultural family /
- Publication info:
- Aldershot, Hampshire, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2008.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
Report of the seminar on the political, historical, economic, social, and cultural factors contributing to racism, racial discrimination, and apartheid, Geneva (Switzerland), 10-14 December 1990 : implementation of the Programme of action for the second decade to combat racism and racial discrimination.
K 3242 R44 1991
- The multi-cultural family / edited by Ann Laquer Estin.
- Other Authors:
Aldershot, Hampshire, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 2008
- Physical Description:
xxvii, 575 p. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780754626480 (alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Toward a multicultural family law / Ann Laquer Estin
- Taking multiculturalism seriously: marriage law and the rights of minorities / Patrick Parkinson
- Muslim maghrebian marriage in France: a problem for legal pluralism / Edwige Rude-Antoine
- Migrant women caught between Islamic family law and women's rights. The search for the appropriate 'connecting factor' in international family law / Marie-Claire Foblets
- Rationality and cultural pluralism in the non-recognition of foreign marriages / John Murphy
- Citizenship on trial: Nadia's case / Unni Wikan
- Blaming culture for bad behavior / Leti Volpp
- The reconstruction of the Constitution and the case for Muslim personal law in Canada / Syed Mumtaz Ali and Enab Whitehouse
- Muslim women and 'Islamic divorce' in England / Lucy Carroll
- Jewish marriage and civil law: a two-way street?/ David Novak
- Balancing minority rights and gender justice: the impact of protecting multiculturalism on women's rights in India / Pratibha Jain
- - A critical analysis of customary marriages, bohali and the South African Constitution / R. Songca
- Women, religion and multiculturalism in Israel / Ruth Halperin-Kaddari
- A cross cultural perspective on reproductive rights / Carla Makhlouf Obermeyer
- An Islamic perspective on domestic violence / Azizah Y. al-Hibri
- Indigenous peoples and family law: issues in Aotearoa/New Zealand / Jacinta Ruru
- Evolving indigenous law: Navajo marriage; cultural traditions and modern challenges / Antoinette Sedillo Lopez
- Valid-where-consummated: the intersection of customary law marriages and formal adjudication / Lona N. Laymon
- Children between cultures / John Eekelaar
- Complicating culture in child placement decisions / Annie Bunting
- Understanding sending country's traditions and policies in international adoptions: avoiding legal and cultural pitfalls / Jini L. Roby
- Placing the 'gift child' in transnational adoption / Barbara Yngvesson
- Cross-cultural dispute resolution: the consequences of conflicting interpretations of norms / Alison Dundes Renteln
- Constructing an Islamic institute of civil justice that encourages women's rights / Marie Egan Provins
- Building a bridge: lessons learned from family mediation training for the Hmong community of Minnesota / James R. Cohen.