Hyper-narrative interactive cinema : problems and solutions /
- Publication info:
- Amsterdam ; New York : Rodopi, 2008.
On the Shelf
- Hyper-narrative interactive cinema : problems and solutions / Nitzan Ben Shaul.
- Main Author:
- Ben-Shaul, Nitzan S.
Amsterdam ; New York : Rodopi, 2008
"Hyper narrative interactive cinema refers to the possibility for users or "interactors" to shift at different points in an evolving film narrative to other film narrative trajectories. Such works have resulted so far in interactor distraction rather than sustained engagement. Contrary to post-modern textual and cognitive presumptions, film immersion and computer game theories, this study uses dual coding theory, cognitive load theory, and constructivist narrative film theory to claim that interactive hyper-narrative distraction results from cognitive and behavioral multi-tasking, which lead to split attention problems that cannot be cognitively handled. Focus is upon split attention resulting from the non-critical use of de-centered and non-cohering hyper-narrative and audio-visual formations, and from interaction. For hyper-narrative interactive cinema to sustain deep engagement, multi-tasking split attention problems inhering in such computer-based works have to be managed, and - most importantly - made to enhance rather than reduce engagement. This book outlines some viable solutions to construct deep cognitive-emotional engagement of interactors with hyper-narrative interactive cinema."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
95 p. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -90) and indexes.
Table of Contents
- Ch. 1. Hyper-Narratives
- 1.1. What is a Film Narrative?
- 1.2. Postmodern Narrative Film Theory
- 1.3. Postmodern Hyper-Narrative Theory
- 1.4. Cognitive Constructivist Hyper-Narrative Theory
- Ch. 2. Interaction
- 2.1. Interactor as Film Protagonist Fallacy
- 2.2. From Film Viewer to Hyper-Narrative Film Interactor
- 2.3. From Computer Game Player to Hyper-Narrative Film Interactor
- 2.4. Cognitive-Constructivist Model for Hyper-narrative Interaction
- Ch. 3. Audiovisuality & Interfacing
- 3.1. Immersion Hyper-Narrative Film theories
- 3.2. Immersion Fallacy in 3-D Movies
- 3.3. Hyper-reality, Morphing, Digital Replication and Split Screens
- 3.4. Engaging Interfaces
- Conclusion: Engaging Hyper-narrative Interactive Cinema.