After the avant-garde : contemporary German and Austrian experimental film /
- Publication info:
- Rochester, N.Y. : Camden House, 2008.
On the Shelf
- After the avant-garde : contemporary German and Austrian experimental film / edited by Randall Halle and Reinhild Steingröver.
- Other Authors:
Rochester, N.Y. : Camden House, 2008
"Filmmaking in Germany and Austria has changed dramatically in the last decades with digitalization and the use of video and the Internet. Yet despite predictions of a negative effect on experimental film, the German and Austrian filmscape is filled with dynamic new experiments, as new technological possibilities push a break with the past, encouraging artists to find new forms. This volume of theoretically engaged essays explores this new landscape, introducing the work of established and emerging filmmakers, offering assessments of the intent and effect of their productions, and describing overall trends. It also explores the relationship of today's artists to the historical avant-garde, revealing a vibrant form of artistic engagement that has a history but has certainly not ended."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
x, 361 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -341) and index.Includes filmography: p. -348.
9781571133656 (hardcover : alk. paper)1571133658 (hardcover : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- 1. future of "art" and "work" in the age of vision machines : Harun Farocki / Thomas Elsaesser
- 2. embodied film : Austrian contributions to experimental cinema / Bernadette Wegenstein
- 3. Interview with filmmaker Birgit Hein / Randall Halle and Reinhild Steingrover
- 4. Videorebels : actions and interventions of the German video-avant-garde / Annette Jael Lehmann
- 5. Media in the interim : independent film in East Germany before and after 1989 / Claus Loser
- 6. Blackbox GDR : DEFA's untimely avant-garde / Reinhild Steingrover
- 7. In your face : activism, agit-prop, and the autonomy of migration; the case of Kanak Attak / Nanna Heidenreich and Vojin Sasa Vukadinovic
- 8. Rapidly expanding cinema : on border rescue and the tendentiousness of interventionist art / Randall Halle
- 9. post-pop hauntings of / Bjorn Melhus and Alice A. Kuzniar
- 10. Schlingensief's peep-show : post-cinematic spectacles and the public space of history / Richard Langston
- 11. From the diary to the Webcam : Michael Brynntrup and the medial self / Robin Curtiss
- 12. QWERTY cinema : Christoph Girardet/Matthias Muller's Phoenix tapes / Rembert Huser
- 13. Kirsten Winter : from avant-garde to second modernity / Larson Powell
- 14. representation of space in the films of Heinz Emigholz / Owen Lyons
- 15. Shocking the audience, shocking the artist : aesthetic affinities to the avant-garde in Elke Krystufek's work / Christina Schmid.