Professional ethics education : studies in compassionate empathy /
- Publication info:
- Dordrecht ; London : Springer, 2008.
On the Shelf
- Professional ethics education : studies in compassionate empathy / by Bruce Maxwell.
- Main Author:
- Maxwell, Bruce.
Dordrecht ; London : Springer, 2008
"Today, researchers in moral education widely regard moral reasoning as but one among at least 4 dimensions of moral development alongside moral motivation, moral character and moral sensitivity. Reflecting these developments, educationalists in the diverse fields of medicine, education, business, philosophy and nursing now openly question how to take professional ethics education beyond the development of skills in moral reasoning. Frequently topping the list of suggested improvements is to provide support for empathic capacities of response, This work gives this proposal the sustained attention that it deserves hut which it has until now lacked. The challenge of empathic development in practical ethics education, it argues, is to encourage the appropriate extension of natural concern for one's kith and kin to the needs of strangers as well."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
xiii, 198 p. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9781402068881 (hbk.)1402068883 (hbk.)1402068891 (e-book)9781402068898 (e-book)
Table of Contents
- Ch. 1. Introduction
- Ch. 2. Disambiguation of "Empathy": Affective and Cognitive Conceptions
- Ch. 3. Conceptual and Empirical Sketch of Compassionate Empathy
- Ch. 4. Paradox of Compassionate Empathy's Moral Worth
- Ch. 5. Compassionate Empathy, Moral Perception and Moral Conscience
- Ch. 6. Intermezzo on Moral Emotion Education: Imagination, Imitation, and Reappraisal
- Ch. 7. Compassionate Empathy in Professional and Practical Ethics Education.