Making sense of social networks in schools /
- Publication info:
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press ; [Arlington, Va.] : American Association of School Administrators, c2009.
On the Shelf
- Making sense of social networks in schools / Terrence E. Deal, Ted Purinton, Daria Cook Waetjen ; foreword by Guilbert C. Hentschke.
- Main Author:
- Deal, Terrence E.
- Other Authors:
Thousand Oaks, Calif. : [Arlington, Va.] : Corwin Press ; 2009
- Physical Description:
xxv, 147 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -143) and index.
9781412954433 (cloth)1412954436 (cloth)9781412954440 (pbk.)1412954444 (pbk.)
Table of Contents
- Foreword: Social Capital and the Educator / Guilbert C. Hentschke
- Introduction. New Principal Encounters a Locked Door: Through a Smoky Cloud
- 1. Glimmer of Networks: Saw an Eyeball Peepin'
- Business Research
- Predominance of Networks
- Impact on Schools
- Misreading Clues
- Context of Leadership
- Managing Networks
- Finding Direction
- 2. Network Basics: Green Door, What's That Secret You're Keepin'?
- Nuts and Bolts
- Network Players
- Whole Networks
- Key to the Green Door
- 3. Limitations of Task Networks: Door Slammed, Hospitality's Thin There
- Searching for the Boss
- Turned Down by the Boss
- No Access
- Finding Access
- Stephanie Relaxes the Rule Book
- 4. Friendship Networks: The Happy Crowd
- Finding Friends
- Someone Who Understands Me
- Someone Convenient
- Impact of Comfortable Connections
- Emotional Contagion
- Informal Induction
- Jasmine's Cost-Benefit Decision
- Friendship and Productivity
- Blessings and Curses of Friendship Networks
- 5. Power Networks: Wish They'd Let Me In
- Politics as Usual
- Power Stars
- Power as Perception
- Power Players
- Baskets and Eggs
- Working the Power Networks
- Principals as Politicians
- 6. Culture Networks: They Laugh a Lot Behind the Green Door
- Stories and Traditions
- Ties That Bind
- Way Things Are Done Around Here
- Tribal Leaders, Mavericks, Mavens, Gossips, and Spies
- Door Ajar
- Cultural Players
- Trust Thy Neighbor
- Spirit Moves Her: A Principal Assumes the Dais
- Ghost of Garvey
- Bonding Moment
- Reflecting on Garvey's Green Door
- 7. Scoping and Working the Networks: Midnight, One More Night Without Sleepin'
- Promises and Caveats of Network Study
- Beyond Individual Players
- Learning Communities, Culture, and Communication
- Making Sense of School Networks
- Opening a Can of Worms: Big Brother or the Future of Leadership?
- Inside the Green Door.Appendix. Research on Networks in Sociology, Business, and Education
- Network Literature
- Network and Related Literature in Education
- Our Endeavors in Social Network Analysis.