When mayors take charge : school governance in the city /
- Publication info:
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, c2009.
On the Shelf
A state's supervision of its elementary schools; the development and present activities of the Elementary Division of the State Department of Education of Louisiana, and a program for its future service, by Murphy P. Rogers. New York, Bureau of Publications, Teachers College, Columbia University, 1936. -
LB 2809 L8 R6 1972
- When mayors take charge : school governance in the city / Joseph P. Viteritti, editor.
- Other Authors:
Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, 2009
"Large urban school systems have been the weakest link in American education, driving middle-class families into the suburbs while contributing mightily to the racial learning gap. Activist mayors in several major cities have responded by taking control of their public schools. When Mayors Take Charge is the most up-to-date assessment available on this phenomenon. It brings together the topic's leading experts to analyze the factors and people driving the trend, its achievements and shortcomings, its prospects for the future, and ways to improve it."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
xiv, 255 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780815790440 (cloth : alk. paper)0815790449 (cloth : alk. paper)9780815790433 (pbk. : alk. paper)0815790430 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Letter from Betsy Gotbaum
- Prologue / Stephen R. Aiello
- 1. Why Governance Matters / Joseph P. Viteritti
- Pt. I. General Overviews
- 2. Mayoral Control: What We Can and Cannot Learn from Other Cities / Jeffrey R. Henig
- 3. Mayoral Control of Schools: Politics, Trade-offs, and Outcomes / Michael W. Kirst
- 4. Does Mayoral Control Improve Performance in Urban Districts? / Kenneth K. Wong
- Pt. II. City Case Studies
- 5. Governing the Boston Public Schools: Lessons in Mayoral Control / John Portz and Robert Schwartz
- 6. Updating Tradition: The Institutional Underpinnings of Modern Mayoral Control in Chicago's Public Schools / Dorothy Shipps
- 7. Who's Afraid of a Mayoral Takeover of Detroit Public Schools? / Wilbur C. Rich
- Pt. III. New York Experience
- 8. History of Public School Governance in New York City / Diane Ravitch
- 9. Parent Power and Mayoral Control: Parent and Community Involvement in New York City Schools / Clara Hemphill
- 10. New York: Past, Present, Future / Joseph P. Viteritti.