Legal evidence and proof : statistics, stories, logic /
- Publication info:
- Farnham, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2009.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
Public interest law around the world : report of a symposium held at Columbia University in May 1991 with descriptions of participating legal organizations from twenty countries / organized by NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund ; foreword by Julius L. Chambers ; reported by Thomas Hutchins & Jonathan Klaaren ; edited by Julius L. Chambers ... [et al.].
K 2245 A55 1991
- Legal evidence and proof : statistics, stories, logic / edited by Hendrik Kaptein, Henry Prakken, Bart Verheij.
- Other Authors:
Farnham, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate, 2009
- Item Description:
"This collection ... originated in a research project on conflict resolution organized by the University of Amsterdam. Next ... a workshop on Reasoning about Legal Evidence in Cracow ... (as part of the IVR Conference, August 2007). Most contributors to this book were present. Lively debate led to a good part of the results presented here"--Preface.
- Physical Description:
vi, 288 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9780754676201 (alk. paper)075467620X (alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Burdens of evidence and proof : why bear them? : a plea for principled opportunism in (leaving) legal fact-finding (alone) / Hendrik Kaptein
- The fabrication of facts : the lure of the incredible coincidence / Ton Derksen and Monica Meijsing
- Decision-making in the forensic arena / Ton Broeders
- Analyzing stories using schemes / Floris Bex
- The evaluation of evidence : differences between legal systems / Marijke Malsch and Ian Freckelton
- Inference to the best legal explanation / Amalia Amaya
- Accepting the truth of a story about the facts of a criminal case / Bart Verheij and Floris Bex
- Rigid anarchic principles of evidence and proof : anomist panaceas against legal pathologies of proceduralism / Hendrik Kaptein
- A logical analysis of burdens of proof / Henry Prakken and Giovanni Sartor
- Twelve angry men or one good woman? : asymmetric relations in evidentiary reasoning / Burkhard Schafer.