We Europeans? : media, representations, identities /
- Publication info:
- Bristol, UK ; Chicago, IL : Intellect Books, 2008.
On the Shelf
- We Europeans? : media, representations, identities / edited by William Uricchio.
- Corporate Author:
- Other Authors:
Bristol, UK ; Chicago, IL : Intellect Books, 2008
"This volume explores the relationship between media and identity along the fault-lines and fissures of the ever-shifting collectivities that constitute Europe. At the centre of this dynamic are human beings, who, as makers and users of media, negotiate identities, affiliations and meanings." "The collection explores how ethnicities, religions, tastes, generations and languages overlap one another, interact within individuals and define communities. Whether triggered by individual desires or shared fantasies, these dynamic collectivities make use of media in very different ways. Addressing topics such as films and television programmes, the Euro, photographs, postcards or public monuments, contributors reflect on this notion of 'new collectivities', not in an individualistic sense or collectively as nations but as multiple and shifting identities. With this as a starting point, the volume interrogates the processes that create and shape identity and characterize Europe as it physically expands and administratively consolidates. Essays explore media texts as sites of dreams and longed for identities, and articulate the fears and tensions surrounding the uses of transnational media, whether for purposes of cultural homogenization or isolation."--BOOK JACKET.
- Item Description:
"European Science Foundation."--P.  of cover.
- Physical Description:
198 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references.
9781841502076 (pbk.)1841502073 (pbk.)
Table of Contents
- We Europeans? Media, Representations, Identities / William Uricchio
- Imaginary Americas in Europe's Public Space / Rob Kroes
- Towns in Search of Identity / Roger Odin
- Getting Away and Going Home: The Visual Experience of the Exile as Tourist / Karin Becker
- Exiles and Ethnographers: An Essay / Philip Schlesinger
- Imperialism, Self-inflicted? On the Americanizations of Television in Europe / Jerome Bourdon
- Media and Cultural Diversity in Europe / Kevin Robins
- Meanings of Money: The Euro as a Sign of Value and of Cultural Identity / Johan Fornas
- Notion, Boundaries and Otherness in European 'Films of Voyage' / Maria Rovisca
- Media and the Symbolic Geographies of Europe: The Case of Yugoslavia / Sabino Mihelj
- Sicilian Film Productions: Between Europe and the Mediterranean Islands / Giuliano Muscio.