Judges on judging : views from the bench /
- Publication info:
- Washington, D.C. : CQ Press, c2009.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Judges on judging : views from the bench / collected and edited by David M. O'Brien.
- Other Authors:
Washington, D.C. : CQ Press, 2009
- 3rd ed.
- Added Title:
- Item Description:
Originally published under title: Views from the bench : the judiciary and constitutional politics.
- Physical Description:
x, 372 p. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -368).
9780872899513 (pbk. : alk. paper)0872899519 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Pt. I. Judicial review and American politics : historical and political perspectives. The doctrine of judicial review : Mr. Marshall, Mr. Jefferson, and Mr. Marbury / Warren E. Burger
- The Supreme Court in the American system of government / Robert H. Jackson
- Pt. II. The dynamics of the judicial process. Advice and consent in theory and practice / Roger J. Miner
- The "fight" theory versus the "truth" theory / Jerome Frank
- The adversary judge : the experience of the trial judge / Marvin E. Frankel
- The business of the U.S. District Courts / D. Brock Hornby
- What I ate for breakfast and other mysteries of judicial decision making / Alex Kozinski
- Whose federal judiciary is it anyway? / Stephen Reinhardt
- What really goes on at the Supreme Court / Lewis F. Powell Jr.
- The Supreme Court's Conference / William H. Rehnquist
- Deciding what to decide : the docket and the Rule of Four / John Paul Stevens
- The role of oral argument / John M. Harlan II
- Year-end report on the Federal Judiciary (2007) / John G. Roberts Jr.
- Pt. III. The judiciary and the Constitution.The path of law / Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
- The judge as a legislator / Benjamin N. Cardozo
- The notion of a living Constitution / William H. Rehnquist
- A relativistic Constitution / William Wayne Justice
- The jurisprudence of judicial restraint : a return to the moorings / J. Clifford Wallace
- Tradition and morality in constitutional law / Robert H. Bork
- What am I, a potted plant? : the case against strict constructionism / Richard A. Posner
- Originalism : the lesser evil / Antonin Scalia
- The Constitution : a living document / Thurgood Marshall
- The Constitution of the United States : contemporary ratification / William J. Brennan Jr.
- Speaking in a judicial voice : reflections on Roe v. Wade / Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Our democratic Constitution / Stephen G. Breyer
- Against constitutional theory / Richard A. Posner
- The importance of comparative law / Aharon Barak
- The two faces of judicial activism / William Wayne Justice
- Pt. IV. The judiciary and federal regulation : line drawing and statutory interpretation. Some reflections on the reading of statutes / Felix Frankfurter
- What does legislative history tell us? / Frank H. Easterbrook
- Pt. V. Our dual constitutional system : the Bill of Rights and the states. The Bill of Rights / Hugo L. Black
- Guardians of our liberties - state courts no less than federal / William J. Brennan Jr.
- First things first : rediscovering the states' Bills of Rights / Hans A. Linde
- State courts at the dawn of a new century : common law courts reading statutes and constitutions / Judith S. Kaye
- Appendix A. Constitution of the United States, Article III
- Appendix B. The federalist, no. 78 / Alexander Hamilton (1788).