Belonging and banishment : being Muslim in Canada /
- Publication info:
- Toronto : TSAR, c2008.
Leslie Frost Library
On the Shelf
- Belonging and banishment : being Muslim in Canada / edited by Natasha Bakht.
- Other Authors:
Toronto : TSAR, 2008
"A variety of Canadian voices come together here to explore some of the vital issues facing Muslims in Canada. Who, indeed, is a Canadian Muslim? This is only one of the fundamental questions addressed in this volume. The authors are from diverse ethnic backgrounds, hail from coast to coast, and profess varying degrees of practice and belief. In their thoughtful contributions, they explore matters of faith, identity, sectarianism, human rights, and women's rights. Specifically, the essays collected here question the dubious role of the government of Canada - under pressure from the "war on terror" - and its agencies regarding the human rights of young Muslims; explain the relationship between scientific research and the Muslim traditions of knowledge and intellectual pursuit; give examples of tolerant Muslim upbringing and reinforcement of positive identities; point out the duplicitous practices of certain Canadian media in portraying Muslims; look at the issues of women voting or participating in sports while veiled, and the implications of Shariah law as a means of arbitration."--BOOK JACKET.
- Physical Description:
ix, 147 p. 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references.
Table of Contents
- Muslims and the rule of law / Haroon Siddiqui
- Bearing the name of The Prophet / Syed Mohamed Mehdi
- Knowing the universe in all its conditions / Arif Babul
- Raising Muslim children in a diverse world / Rukhsana Khan
- Islamic theology and moral agency : beyond the pre- and post-modern / Anver M. Emon
- Muslim girl magazine : representing ourselves / Ausma Zehanat Khan
- Towards a dialogical discourse for Canadian Muslims / Amin Malak
- Islamic authority : changing expectations among Canadian Muslims / Karim H. Karim
- case of mistaken identity : inside and outside the Muslim ummah / Anar Ali
- Victim or aggressor? : typecasting Muslim women for their attire / Natasha Bakht
- Politics over principles : the case of / Omar Khadr and Sheema Khan.