Parliamentary democracy in crisis /
- Publication info:
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, c2009.
Leslie Frost Library
On the Shelf
The legislative process in Canada : the need for reform : proceedings of a conference held at the University of Victoria and sponsored by the Institute for Research on Public Policy and the Faculty of Law, University of Victoria, March 31-April 1, 1978 / [National Conference on the Legislative Process] ; edited by William A.W. Neilson and James C. MacPherson. --
JL 136 N37 1978
- Parliamentary democracy in crisis / edited by Peter H. Russell and Lorne Sossin.
- Other Authors:
Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 2009
- Item Description:
On cover: Foreword by the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson.
- Physical Description:
xviii, 201 p. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
9781442640764 (bound) :9781442610149 (pbk.) :
Table of Contents
- Foreword / Adrienne Clarkson
- Introduction / Peter H. Russell and Lorne Sossin
- Pt. 1. Events and Their Background
- 1. 'Crisis': A Narrative / Michael Valpy
- 2. Crisis Not Made in a Day / Gary Levy
- Pt. 2. Governor General's Decision to Prorogue
- 3. To Prorogue or Not to Prorogue: Did the Governor General Make the Right Decision? / C. B. S. (Ned) Franks
- 4. Governor General's Suspension of Parliament: Duty Done or a Perilous Precedent? / Andrew Heard
- 5. Prime Minister Harper's Parliamentary 'Time Out': A Constitutional Revolution in the Making? / Lorraine E. Weinrib
- Pt. 3. Constitutional Conventions
- 6. Why the Governor General Matters / Brian Slattery
- 7. When Silence Isn't Golden: Constitutional Conventions, Constitutional Culture, and the Governor General / Lorne Sossin and Adam Dodek
- 8. Of Representation, Democracy, and Legal Principles: Thinking about the lmpense / Jean LeClair and Jean-Francois Gaudreault-Desbiens
- Pt. 4. Coalitions and Parliamentary Government
- 9. Coalition Government: When It Happens, How It Works / Lawrence Leduc
- 10. Learning to Live with Minority Parliaments / Peter H. Russell
- 11. Coalition That Wasn't: A Lost Reform Opportunity / Graham White
- Pt. 5. Tensions in Canada's Democratic Culture
- 12. Western Canada and the 'Illegitimacy' of the Liberal-NDP Coalition Government / Grace Skogstad
- 13. Parliamentary Democracy versus Faux Populist Democracy / Jennifer Smith
- 14. Ultimately, the System Worked / David R. Cameron.