Advice & dissent : the struggle to shape the federal judiciary /
- Publication info:
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, c2009.
On the Shelf
- Advice & dissent : the struggle to shape the federal judiciary / Sarah A. Binder and Forrest Maltzman.
- Main Author:
- Binder, Sarah A.
- Corporate Author:
- Other Authors:
Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, 2009
- Portion of Title:
- Struggle to shape the federal judiciary
- Variant Title:
- Advice and dissent
"Explores the state of the federal judicial selection system. Reconstructs the history and contemporary practice of advice and consent, identifying political, institutional causes of conflict over judicial selection and consequences of such battles. Advocates pragmatic reforms of the institutions of judicial selection that harness incentives of presidents and senators together"--Provided by publisher.
- Physical Description:
xii, 198 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 161-190) and index.
9780815703402 (pbk. : alk. paper)0815703406 (pbk. : alk. paper)
Table of Contents
- Foreword / Strobe Talbott
- 1. The struggle to shape the federal judiciary
- 2. The origins and evolution of advice and consent
- 3. How Senators influence the choice of nominees
- 4. The dynamics of Senate confirmation
- 5. Constructing the federal bench
- 6. The consequences of conflict over judicial selection
- 7. Reforming advice and consent.