Hollywood blockbusters : the anthropology of popular movies /
- Publication info:
- Oxford ; New York : Berg, 2009.
On the Shelf
- Hollywood blockbusters : the anthropology of popular movies / David Sutton and Peter Wogan.
- Main Author:
- Sutton, David E. (David Evan)
- Other Authors:
Oxford ; New York : Berg, 2009
- English ed.
"Certain Hollywood movies are now so deeply woven into the cultural fabric that lines of their dialogue - for example, 'Make him an offer he can't refuse' - have been incorporated into everyday discourse. The films explored in this book, which include The Godfather, Jaws, The Big Lebowski, Field of Dreams and The Village, have become important cultural myths, fascinating windows into the schisms, tensions, and problems of American culture. Hollywood Blockbusters: The Anthropology of Popular Movies uses anthropology to understand why these movies have such enduring appeal in this age of fragmented audiences and ever-faster spin cycles. Exploring key anthropological issues from ritual, kinship, gift giving and totemism to literacy, stereotypes, boundaries and warfare, this fascinating book uncovers new insights into the significance of modern film classics for students of film, media, anthropology and American cultural studies"--Provided by publisher.
- Physical Description:
xi, 178 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
9781847884862 (cloth)9781847884855 (paper)
Table of Contents
- The godfather : the gun, the pen, and the cannoli
- Field of dreams : foul balls and blurry lines
- The big Lebowski : bowling, gender, temporality, and other "what-have-you's"
- The village : egalitarianism and the political anthropology of the possible
- Jaws : knowing the shark.