The legitimacy of highest courts' rulings : judicial deliberations and beyond /
- Publication info:
- The Hague, The Netherlands : T.M.C. Asser Press ; West Nyack, NY : Cambridge University Press [North American distributor], c2009.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Personal Subject:
- The legitimacy of highest courts' rulings : judicial deliberations and beyond / edited by Nick Huls, Maurice Adams, Jacco Bomhoff.
- Other Authors:
The Hague, The Netherlands : West Nyack, NY : T.M.C. Asser Press ; 2009
- Related Resource:
- Item Description:
"In his Judicial deliberations : a comparative analysis of judicial transparency and legitimacy ... Mitchel Lasser ... tried to re-establish the strengths of the French cassation system. Using Lasser's approach ... judges from the Fench, Belian and Dutch Cassation Courts reflect on the challenges that their courts are facing"--Outside back ocver.
- Physical Description:
xxi, 478 p. ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Introduction : from legitimacy to leadership / Nick Huls
- Transforming deliberations / Mitchel de S.-O-l'E. Lasser
- What do we lack? / Ugo Mattei
- A socio-legal analysis of the legitimacy of highest courts / Fred Bruinsma
- Comparing judicial reasoning on a formalism/policy axis : problematizing and contextualizing 'formalism' in Mitchel Lasser's Judicial deliberations / Jacco Bomhoff
- 'In good faith' : re-imagining comparative law discourse / Bram Goetschalckx
- Formal and substantial justification in legal decisions : some critical questions from an argumentative perspective / Harm Kloosterhuis
- Formal and informal determinative factors in the legitimacy of judicial decisions : the point of view of the French Court of Cassation / Guy Canivet
- But Pasteur was French : comments on Mitchel Lasser's 'The European pasteurization of French law' / Koen Lemmens
- Filtering applications, number of judgments delivered and judicial discourse by supreme courts : some thoughts based on the French example / Andrea Pinna
- A commentary on Lasser's Analysis from the Belgian Court of Cassation's perspective / Luc Huybrechts
- Legitimacy and democracy through adjudication : comparative reflections on the argumentative practice of the French and Belgian Cour de cassation / Maurice Adams and Fernand Tanghe
- Judicial reasoning and legitimacy of the Dutch Supreme Court / Willibrord J.M. Davids
- The legitimacy of the decisions of the Dutch Supreme Court in criminal cases / Geert Corstens
- The perspective of the annotator : some observations about the organisation and format of the judgments and decisions of the Criminal Division of the Supreme Court of the Netherlands, and the role of the annotator / Paul Mevis
- The perspective of a cassation attorney in criminal cases / Rob Baumgardt
- Legitimacy of the ruling : a formal approach / Carel Smith
- Courts in a quest for legitimacy : a comparative approach / Marc A. Loth
- Another turn of the screw : an evaluation of Lasser's Judicial deliberations in the light of the practices of constitutional review in France, Germany and the United States / Elaine Mak
- From traditional judicial styles to Verdict Industries Inc. / Rob Jagtenberg and Annie de Roo
- A comparison between wrongful dismissal cases in the Netherlands and California : a quest for transparency of judicial decisions / E. Grace van Arkel
- The Dutch Supreme Court versus the lower courts : summary dismissal and the catalogue of viewpoints / Kees Loonstra and Jeroen Quist
- Functions of judicial opinion : a view from a post-Communist European state / Siniša Rodin
- Judicial deliberations : the Strasbourg perspective / Lech Garlicki
- Judicial legitimacy in an internationalized world / Wilhelmina Thomassen
- Judicial deliberations in the European Court of Human Rights / Janneke Gerards
- Legitimacy of European Court of Human Rights judgments : procedural aspects / Tom Barkhuysen and Michiel van Emmerik
- Judicial deliberations and human rights adjudication / Roel de Lange.