The language of statutes : laws and their interpretation /
- Publication info:
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, c2010.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- The language of statutes : laws and their interpretation / Lawrence M. Solan.
- Main Author:
- Solan, Lawrence, 1952-
Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2010
- Portion of Title:
- Laws and their interpretation
- Physical Description:
x, 288 p. : ill., forms ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Table of Contents
- Laws and judges
- Why we need to interpret statutes
- Definitions, ordinary meaning, and respect for the legislature
- The intent of the legislature
- Stability, dynamism, and other values
- Who should interpret statutes?
- Jurors as statutory interpreters
- Legislatures, judges, and statutory interpretation
- Appendix. Two mail fraud jury instructions.