Ratification : the people debate the Constitution, 1787-1788 /
- Publication info:
- New York ; Toronto : Simon & Schuster, 2010.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Corporate Subject:
- Ratification : the people debate the Constitution, 1787-1788 / Pauline Maier.
- Main Author:
- Maier, Pauline, 1938-
New York ; Toronto : Simon & Schuster, 2010
- 1st Simon & Schuster hardcover ed.
- Physical Description:
xvi, 589 p.,  p. of plates : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Prologue : the view from Mount Vernon
- The morning after
- "Take this or nothing"
- A war of printed words : the national debate begins
- The Pennsylvania ratifying convention
- with Delaware, New Jersey, and Georgia
- "We the people" of Connecticut and Massachusetts
- The Massachusetts ratifying convention I : the "conversation" begins
- The Massachusetts Convention II : "
- with cordiality"
- A rough road to Richmond : New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maryland, and South Carolina
- The Virginia Convention I : a battle of giants
- The Virginia Convention II : under the eyes of heaven
- On to Poughkeepsie
- The New York Convention I : a failure of oratory
- The New York Convention II : in or out?
- Some final twists : the North Carolina Convention, a meeting in Pennsylvania, and the ratification story draws to an end
- "Playing the after game" : amendments, rights, and the future of the Republic.