Law, society, and history : themes in the legal sociology and legal history of Lawrence M. Friedman /
- Publication info:
- New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011.
Osgoode Hall Law School Library
On the Shelf
- Personal Subject:
- Law, society, and history : themes in the legal sociology and legal history of Lawrence M. Friedman / edited by Robert W. Gordon, Morton J. Horwitz.
- Other Authors:
New York : Cambridge University Press, 2011
- Physical Description:
xii, 438 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Table of Contents
- Lawrence Friedman and the canons of law and society / Lauren B. Edelman
- "Then and now" : Lawrence Friedman as an analyst of social and legal change / Vincenzo Ferrari
- Lawrence Friedman and the bane of functionalism / Victoria Saker Woeste
- Lawrence M. Friedman's comparative law / Tom Ginsburg
- To influence, shape and globalize : popular legal culture and law / Jo Carrillo
- Exploring legal culture : a few cautionary remarks from comparative research / José Juan Toharia
- The travails of total justice / Marc Galanter
- "Total justice" and political conservativism / Robert A. Kagan
- Failures of war tribunals : from Leipzig, Nuremberg, and Tokyo to Milošević and Saddam Hussein / Erhard Blankenburg
- Friedman on lawyers : a survey / Philip Lewis
- Legal culture and the state in modern Japan : continuity and change / Malcolm M. Feeley and Setsuo Miyazawa
- The death of contract : dodos and unicorns or sleeping rattlesnakes? / Stewart Macaulay
- Law, society, and the environment / Robert V. Percival
- Separating church and state : the Atlantic divide / James Q. Whitman
- Civil rites : the gay marriage controversy in historical perspective / Joanna L. Grossman
- Historian in the cellar / George Fisher
- The discreet charm of inquisitorial procedure : judges and lawyers in a case of lèse majesté in late-eighteenth century Venezuela / Rogelio Pérez-Perdomo
- "Keep negroes out of most classes where there are a large number of girls" : the unseen power of the Ku Klux Klan and standardized testing at the University of Texas, 1899-1999 / Thomas D. Russell
- Taking legal realism offshore : the contributions of Joseph Walter Bingham to American jurisprudence and to the reform of modern ocean law / Harry N. Scheiber
- Sociological jurisprudence : impossible but necessary : the case of contractual networks / Gunther Teubner
- How American legal academics' positions on economic-efficiency analysis, moral philosophy and valid legal argument disserve law and society empirical research / Richard S. Markovits.